Likes Likes:  250
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  8
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Beerbeuring BASF 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerbeuring BASF 2018

Do you like to bike? Do you like beer? If so, this side bet is for you. The rules are simple:

1. Ride your bike to a brewery or brewpub. I estimate that there are over 50 breweries or brewpubs that can be reached by bike from DC, over 10 of them are in DC.
    2. Acquire a beer brewed at that location.
    3. Take a picture of the beer.
    4. Taste the beer.
    5. Post on this thread the picture of the beer, the location, and a comment about the beer. It can be anything from "tastes mostly like beer" to "the hop aroma contained grapefruit pith and apricot that was matched by a good malt backbone, which added a hint of graham cracker".
    6. Whomever posts entries from the most number of breweries or brewpubs by the end of Freezing Saddles wins!
    7. The winner will receive a bottle of beer that reflects the nature of the competition. If only a few participate and the winner had 3 entries, then you will get a good bottle but nothing super special. If the competition is heated and the winner has 30 entries, then I will do my best to get something special.

A few further clarifications:

1. BE SAFE! No riding while under the influence. If you rode your bike to the brewery but find that you need to get a ride or take Metro home, the entry still counts.
    2. You can go to more than one brewery on a ride, but see above.
    3. The beer must be made at that location. Having a 3 Stars at the local bar does not count. Nothing at the Capital City in DC counts because it is all made in Shirlington.
    4. Some brewpubs have more than one location. A trip to each location counts.
    5. Keep in mind that this competition is to visit the most number of breweries and brewpubs. Once you visit and have a beer at a brewery or brewpub, then you cannot post another entry for that brewery or brewpub, even if you go back later and try a different beer.
    6. It is not required, but try to go on at least one brewery tour. Fun, educational and you usually get to sample beer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TexasBikeBeerExpo_2.17-07.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	15988

Post Thanks / Like

This contest is how I got my wife to sign up for BAFS. Hoping to get a brewery in this weekend if we don't all die of the cold

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    This contest is how I got my wife to sign up for BAFS. Hoping to get a brewery in this weekend if we don't all die of the cold

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    JMU is playing in the FCS national championship* on Saturday and Port City is doing a showing of the game. There is also a ride starting at 9:00, but I think it is going to be too cold for me to do the ride. But I will definitely ride there for the game and back if anyone else wants to join in.

*It should be noted that I am not really a fan of sportsball, but as an alum (who was in the marching band), I feel obligated to go drink beer and cheer.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Just so sad, lots of good beer here, but few options to enjoy it in places that qualify for this pointless prize.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    JMU is playing in the FCS national championship* on Saturday and Port City is doing a showing of the game. There is also a ride starting at 9:00, but I think it is going to be too cold for me to do the ride. But I will definitely ride there for the game and back if anyone else wants to join in.

*It should be noted that I am not really a fan of sportsball, but as an alum (who was in the marching band), I feel obligated to go drink beer and cheer.
    This Saturday is supposed to be even colder than the Saturday a few years ago when I organized a ride to Port City and dragged the kids along. That ride is the only time I have thought that, in hindsight, we should not have done. The kids were COLD. I brought a blanket for them to wrap up in but it didn't really work.

We might do something a little more local this weekend and save Port City for either warmer weather or when we can ditch the kids.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post

I don't like the sportsball either, but I like beer. What time are you going?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Just so sad, lots of good beer here, but few options to enjoy it in places that qualify for this pointless prize.
    Here is a resource that might be helpful in finding places: https://www.beeradvocate.com/place/directory/6/DE/

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Here is a resource that might be helpful in finding places: https://www.beeradvocate.com/place/directory/6/DE/
    Yep, I used beer advocate during FS2017 for the Deutsche Bier PP.

I've been going into the Frankfurt listings and it's hard to find info on actual brewery tours/tastings. Also several which have Biergartens do not brew on site. Fun to keep looking.

Looks like about 14 possibles withing 100 km of our apartment without having to get on a brewery tour.
    Last edited by consularrider; 01-04-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I don't like the sportsball either, but I like beer. What time are you going?
    I don't much follow the sportsball, but I do like to see JMU, my son's alma mater, win.* The JMU sportsiness site says the game is at noon.

*He wasn't cool enough to be a band geek.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerneuring #1

Had the Duchess Porter at Caboose. Easy to drink, mild sweet and malty notes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aviary-image-1515179470343.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	16046