Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Keeping feet warm during FS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gswim18 View Post
    I don't think this is accurate n18. Yes, your foot will sweat but you will reach a point where that process stops. You will then have dry insulating layers on top.
    This is incorrect. I have seen people lose toes and almost lose fingers due to plastic or latex while doing strenuous activity in the cold.

Think of it this way. If I take a piece of raw meat, soak it in water, then wrap it in plastic with a wool outerlayer and leave it in the sub zero wind chill cold for a couple of hours, do you think that piece of meat is not going to be frozen solid when you get back? Sure, ALIVE people have blood flow, but the longer you are exposed to the cold, the more your vessels constrict in your extremities and the less warming blood flow they get.

If this works for you and you want to risk your fingers/toes by doing it, then go for it. But for the love of all things bright and shiny, please stop suggesting that other people do this.

2. Likes historygeek, kwarkentien, AFHokie, hozn, Judd and 1 others liked this post
    ELITE rcannon100 ELITED this post
  3. 01-05-2018, 08:47 PM

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

FYI: Sunyata is a paramedic.

5. Likes Edelweiss, Judd, hozn liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sunyata, here is my take:

The idea behind a vapor barrier - create a micro-climate between your skin and the vapor barrier. Nothing in, nothing out. When your foot sweats it will add moisture to the micro-climate, at some point there will be so much moisture in the micro-climate that no more can be added thus you stop sweating. Ideally you wouldn't sweat at all and have a nice warm and dry micro-climate.
    That is definitely not how sweating works.

7. Likes Sunyata, Judd, dkel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Deleted my posts

Hello All,

I have deleted my posts. Don't want to cause any trouble or give any bad advice.

Best,

Kris

9. Likes rcannon100, hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see a difference between waterproof boots, and bags over thick socks. Both act as a windproof barrier. Perhaps this is a job for MythBusters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    I don't see a difference between waterproof boots, and bags over thick socks. Both act as a windproof barrier. Perhaps this is a job for MythBusters.
    This is why Goretex was invented and so popular in activewear. It allows sweat to escape yet remains waterproof, bags can't do that.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have deleted my posts. Don't want to cause any trouble or give any bad advice.
    Just a non-bike related editorial...

For the past month or so I've been on a social media diet sticking mainly to Reddit, this forum, and little else. What keeps me coming back to the WABA forum -- and what sets it apart from other SM -- is the sense of community that I see here. Sure there's the occasional squabble (I'm looking at you, e-bike discussion people) but as a whole, I think this is what I hoped social media would do: bring ideas together, hash 'em out with a little debate, and unite folks.

Gswim18: you weren't causing any trouble, IMO. Instead, you are an example of social media gone good. This thread, its contributors and what I've learned in my ~1.5 years of lurking here are exemplary of the promises that this still (relatively) new tech holds for us.

Cheers,
    CT

P.S. T minus 3 days until my bar mitts arrive!

13. Likes jrenaut, Steve O, kwarkentien, Edelweiss, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f148vr View Post
    This is why Goretex was invented and so popular in activewear. It allows sweat to escape yet remains waterproof, bags can't do that.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Ok, got it now after checking this Wikipedia article about Gore-tex. There are some who use boots that are not breathable. According to this page, genuine leather is breathable, including genuine vegan leather(Microfiber leather), but synthetic leather is not.

15. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default feet warmth

I constantly struggle with this-- my feet and hands will be freezing when my back is sweating, so the "keep your ore warm and your hands and feet will be warm" advice always falls flat for me. My current shoe process is wearing reboks (which have extra large toe boxes) over a pair of thin silk socks and a regular pair of wool socks. I then place a small "hot hands" pack on top of my toes as I slide them into the shoe. Toss a neoprene overshoe over that, and I'm good for 12.5 miles at 7 degrees. I also wear a pair of regular ski mittens and put hot hands in those. Keep a plastic bag around and you can save your hot hands for later-- cutting off air stops the chemical reaction creating the heat, so you can pull them out of the ziplock days/weeks/months later and they'll warm right back up. MY first pair this year were left over from last year. And let them sit in the air for a few minutes before you put them in your gloves/shoes, so they have a chance to warm up with lots of air circulation around them before you limit that.

17. Likes SurlyTed1187, Edelweiss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For hands, Bar Mitts are the winner according to others(I haven't bought one yet, but I will). Walk around your neighborhood with your hands in your warmest gloves tucked in your jacket. You should feel very warm because there is no windchill. My guess is that Bar Mitts gives you the same feeling or close to it, so you could even use smaller and more flexible gloves.