Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Keeping feet warm during FS

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keeping feet warm during FS

Quote Originally Posted by dplasters View Post
    What kind of distance/time are we talking about here?
    My commute is 14 miles each direction, right around an hour.

Iíll try to incorporate some of these suggestions. Iíve tried a few of them before, but maybe I was doing them wrong.

I donít like the idea of not clipping in over that distance, I like being connected to the bike. My feet sliding around on the pedals for that distance seams uncomfortable to me.
    Last edited by SurlyTed1187; 01-02-2018 at 10:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel pretty connected with platform pedals with long metal pins. Winter boots and those two layers of socks with the sealskin socks on the outta layer have worked best for me. With this weather I found that I also need to get thicker gloves now!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanics View Post
    With this weather I found that I also need to get thicker gloves now!
    Bar mitts or moose mitts. I can't recommend them enough. I'm riding around in just some light neoprene gloves and a light shell, and my hands are cozy. And my hands are NEVER cozy in the cold

4. Likes kwarkentien, Edelweiss, Judd, ChampionTier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    Bar mitts or moose mitts. I can't recommend them enough. I'm riding around in just some light neoprene gloves and a light shell, and my hands are cozy. And my hands are NEVER cozy in the cold
    Bar mitts are by far the best piece of gear that I have. Wore midweight gloves today and my hands were warm the entire way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f148vr View Post
    perhaps even an aspirin to keep the blood thin and slippery.
    Just... No.

Anything that thins your blood (alcohol, aspirin, prescription blood thinners, etc) will actually LOWER your body temperature. If you are not medically required to thin your blood, it is definitely not something that you want to do in the cold. Hypothermia is not fun.

As for the OP's original question: A pair of good quality mountain bike style platform pedals (with replaceable metal pins) and a nice pair of insulated winter boots (I use a pair of Keens with 400g of Keen. Warm insulation) have kept my feet relatively warm throughout the past three winters that I have commuted full time. I have even done several rather long rides (50+ miles) with them and had no problem with my feet not being connected to the pedals.

One thing that a lot of people forget about with regards to clipless shoes in the winter is that both the cleat and the pedal act as a heat sink drawing heat away from your foot. If you insist on clipping in (and there is nothing wrong with that), then you will either need to get a pair of winter cycling shoes (I do have a pair of Giro Alpineduro's that are nice when it is above 20F) or find a way to insulate your foot better from the heat sink. I have heard about people using a layer of foil underneath a thick wool insole. Not sure how effective that is, but it might be worth a try.

7. Likes rcannon100, musclys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried toe warmers this morning (outside wool socks and thin socks, inside shoes and overshoes). They froze. My toes, yes. But the toe warmers too.

Post Thanks / Like

My commute is also 14 miles/1 hour. I have the Lake boots (HATE THEM) and then the Giro Alpineduros which I find to be just as warm and half the weight. My toes do start to feel the cold by the time I'm almost to work or home. Somewhat uncomfortable, but not unbearable. My butt is colder.

I purposely rode my mtb on a multiple hour ride this past sunday in flats and heavy backpacking boots with thicker wool socks (as a warmth test) and my feet were toasty. My feet did slip around a bit but then I'm used to riding in Five Tens which glue you to the pedal (I have a winter pair of Five Tens too but they're not going to cut it when it's in the teens). Riding in flats with hiking boots wasn't awful and my feet were warm.

I'm looking into getting the 45Nrth insoles for my alpineduros for when I do want to clip in, otherwise I may get another set of cheapy plastic race face chesters for my commuter bike. But then I'd have to get a lighter pair of hiking boots because my backpacking pair are even heavier than the Lakes.

10. Likes Birru, rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shimano MW-81s kept the feet warm enough this morning, as usual. Fingers had the usual freeze about half-way in such that when at the light in Rosslyn I curled them back into the palms to warm them up, then was fine. Suppose I really should try some bar mitts but Ima scared, and I know what I need to do and when to keep my fingers alive. It's only a 35-minute ride for me though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Lake MX 145 boots and I love them until it gets into the low 20's. For the last few days I have worn a thin liner sock, put toe warmers across my toes, then a heavy wool sock. Paired with compression shorts, tights, wind/rain pants, thermal base layer, Showers Pass Jacket, silk glove liners, Gore Windstopper gloves, 2 Buffs, and ski goggles and I was ok for 16 miles each way yesterday.

13. Likes Edelweiss, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My commute is around the same distance, although I've been cutting 2 miles off it recently since I hate the cold.

Yesterday I was fine with thin smartwool liner gloves inside of northface hyvent ski gloves (which they dont make anymore, but I'm sure are similar to all of their other ski gloves, many of which go on sale this time of year). My hands started out warm, got cold for 2ish miles, then warmed back up. This for whatever reason is my normal hand routine regardless of what gloves I'm wearing. After about an hour one of my fingers began getting cold again, but that was because I was holding the brakes/shifters with it, so it warmed back up once I moved my hands away from the metal. I ordered bar mitts though, so I'll be trying those out once they arrive (hopefully in time for Friday's commute).

Shoes--I wore the shimano MW7 shoes. Unfortunately women's winter boots in my size are hard to come by, so I got stuck with these. But they're worth it, esp if you can find them on sale. I used toe warmers and REI heavy duty hiking socks, and was fine. After I took my shoes off I realized my toes were a little cold, but I never noticed the issue while I was on the bike during my hour long ride. Last year I used my normal cycling shoes with shoe covers +toe warmers all year, and I can honestly say they weren't nearly as warm as the boots. I'm glad I sucked it up and spent the $100ish-$150 on the boots since I think otherwise I might not be biking on days as cold as yesterday.

I do need to find a thicker neck/face warmer though. My balaclava restricts my breathing a bit too much, and my buff is too thin to offer much help. I'm hoping when I dig into my ski-supply bins during my search for ski goggles tonight I'll find something I can use.

15. Likes Edelweiss liked this post