Likes Likes:  619
Dislikes Dislikes:  16
ELITE ELITE:  26
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: N O T O R I O U S :: A Pointless Game

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

CBGanimal nets four likes for Arlington Sit Ins and the Point.

Next: The Langley Aerodrome

2. 02-07-2018, 01:09 PM

Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!

Post Thanks / Like

Samuel P. Langley was a pioneering astrophysist and aeronotical engineer.
    In 1887 he he was elected as the third secretary of the Smithsonian Instituion, and served until his death in 1906.
    He pioneered some of the earliest observations of astrophysics while at the Smithsonian.

He is however notoriusly known for his Aerodrome's failure to achieve lift and subsequent crash into the Potomac river, which were funded by the Army to a tune of $50k (~$1.3m in today's money). Using a water-cooled 5-cylinder engine making 52.4 horsepower, the Aerodrome was flung off the roof of a houseboat (more like a house on pontoons) by catapult-like launcher, and promptly crashed into the Potomac. His second attempt achieved the same level of success, and with those successes, Langley gave up work on the Aerodrome. While the engine itself was revolutionary for its time, the craft was not structurally sound and was the primary cause of the failures.

Later in 1914, Aviation pioneer Glenn Curtiss worked with the Smithsonian to "reconstruct" Langley's Aerodrome and flew the aircraft in a number of test flights in Hammondsport, NY.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180209_084510.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	16815

Name:	IMG_20180209_083324.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	16816

Post Thanks / Like

Why is the Wright Brothers' airplane not in the Smithsonian Air & Space?

Name:	IMG_20180209_073547.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	16820

Even though their plane worked, one of their early competitors was Samuel Langley, designer of the Langley Aerodrome. He happened to be secretary of the Smithsonian, and his plane was the one displayed in the museum as the first heavier-than-air craft "capable of flight" (even though it didn't actually fly). So Orville Wright was like

Name:	580612.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	16821

and donated his plane to the Science Museum of London.
    Last edited by NemaVeze; 02-09-2018 at 09:02 AM.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

A competitive item with two excellent submissions. NemaVeze must get some CalvinBall points for the Invader Zim reference - but alas PeteD got the four likes and the point.

The trouble with having me randomize the next item is I stare at the list and go "Oooh, this one would be cool. But no, this one would be cool. Ooooh this one would be really cool."

Next: The Pagans and the Avengers

This is how gangs fight, isnt it???

Last edited by rcannon100; 02-09-2018 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Where is the Nivlacball??????

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I know you're referring to the motorcycle gangs, but I don't know the DC connection, so what to photograph?

Then I went to the comic book store

Name:	IMG_20180209_165834.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	16830

Name:	IMG_20180209_170123.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	16831

Post Thanks / Like

NemaVeze gets the point for the gang battle that took place at what is now Sushi Zen or Duck Donuts in Arlington

Next: Mary Pinchot

Post Thanks / Like

Hickory Hill was the McLean home of JFK and Jackie when he was a Member of Congress. Their neighbors were Cord Meyer and his wife Mary Pinchot Meyer. JFK and Mary Pinchot Meyer later had an affair while he was President. She was murdered on the C&O Canal in Georgetown in 1964 under very odd circumstances. A CIA official telephoned her then ex-husband Cord and her brother-in-law, Ben Bradlee, and told them of her death before police identified the body. Roy Crump was charged for the murder but was acquitted. The murder remains unsolved.

Name:	IMG_2850.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	16864

Post Thanks / Like

Oh hey look Steve got four likes and the point.

Next: Hell's Bottom

Post Thanks / Like

Hell's Bottom, the notorious slum of the late 1800s, located roughly between what I'd think of as Logan Circle and Shaw. In one incident (90 years to the day before I was born) a police officer pursued a man named George Bush (!) into Bob Brown's saloon, and the ensuing gunfight left them both dead.

Location of the saloon, at 12th & Q Streets NW:

Name:	IMG_20180213_073246.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	16881

[Source]

"Hell's Bottom" is now the name of a bougie barbershop at 9th St & Rhode Island Ave. Watch gentrification work!

Name:	IMG_20180213_072933.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	16882
    Last edited by NemaVeze; 02-13-2018 at 07:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    NemaVeze gets the point for the gang battle that took place at what is now Sushi Zen or Duck Donuts in Arlington
    I couldn't find any mention of that gang battle online, but I did find this:

John N. Maggio, an electrical contractor from Alexandria, Va., has admitted asking former Pagans national vice president Floyd "Jesse" Moore for help extorting nearly $30,000 from two business associates.

It looks like John Maggio is the owner/proprietor of Current Contracting on Sharon Chapel Road.

If I had played it straight, I would have taken a picture there. But the Avengers weren't involved, and I wasn't up for a ride that long. \_(ツ)_/