Likes Likes:  70
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
ELITE ELITE:  6
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Need stupidly warm tights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    The design allows for easy removal without taking off your pants. Just unattach the shoelaces from the velcro and pull the YEH Protector straight up and out.
    Removes easily and the shoelaces can hold dollar bills (somebody else's). Kind of like a bad BAFS stripper movie. Not sure I will be able to unimagine this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Removes easily and the shoelaces can hold dollar bills (somebody else's). Kind of like a bad BAFS stripper movie. Not sure I will be able to unimagine this.
    I disliked your post because now that's in MY head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    I disliked your post because now that's in MY head.
    I live to serve

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    I live to serve
    My eyes, my eyes! Oh the horror!

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I have that out of my system, time to get Tania's thread back on topic.

So, the reason many of you men do not have the same issue that Tania (and myself) face in cold weather is because women tend to have more fatty tissue around the hips and buttocks. Fatty tissue is not profused well (less blood vessels) and does get surprisingly frigid. I solved this by buying the greatest invention of all time. A down skirt. I had a lot of issues at cross races with my butt getting stupid cold standing around waiting for races to start and between/after races. Even with several layers on, it was still really uncomfortable. The down skirt solved all of it. I can even ride a bike in it.

This is the one I got:

ETA: You know, thinking about it, this may solve you guys' problem as well!
    Last edited by Sunyata; 01-03-2018 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Oh HEY!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata View Post
    eta: You know, thinking about it, this may solve Steve O's problem as well!
    ftfy, none of the other guys on the forum are going near his idea
    Last edited by dbb; 01-03-2018 at 09:27 AM. Reason: added snark

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post

Now that I have that out of my system, time to get Tania's thread back on topic.

So, the reason many of you men do not have the same issue that Tania (and myself) face in cold weather is because women tend to have more fatty tissue around the hips and buttocks. Fatty tissue is not profused well (less blood vessels) and does get surprisingly frigid. I solved this by buying the greatest invention of all time. A down skirt. I had a lot of issues at cross races with my butt getting stupid cold standing around waiting for races to start and between/after races. Even with several layers on, it was still really uncomfortable. The down skirt solved all of it. I can even ride a bike in it.

This is the one I got:

ETA: You know, thinking about it, this may solve you guys' problem as well!
    While I like the idea, wouldn't that be like a wind scoop directing the draft at the junk? Have you thought about trying the Smartwool Akamina or Corbet merino skirts? Also stupidly expensive when not being sold at 50% off at Sierra Trading Post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    What level of UA Cold Gear? It comes in four different weights with the heaviest designed for extreme cold and low activity levels such as sitting in a deer stand in Minnesota in winter. I have a pair and they are warm that I usually only wear them on low teen or single digit temp days.
    I went with UA 4.0 this morning - under a Nashbar Orleans Jersey (https://www.amazon.ca/Nashbar-Orlean.../dp/B009DLAB0Q) and a middle-weight jacket on top and under a pair of mid-weight thermal tights on bottom.

Perfectly comfortable the entire way. Upper body was just slightly sweaty when I got to the office (15 mile ride).

I wish they did their socks in the same levels of Cold Gear.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

On a more related note, I tried my AmFibs today just to try and duplicate my previous issues...with knee warmers I was actually comfortable enough. Any colder probably would've been unpleasant, but 16 degrees was okay.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    On a more related note, I tried my AmFibs today just to try and duplicate my previous issues...with knee warmers I was actually comfortable enough. Any colder probably would've been unpleasant, but 16 degrees was okay.
    Wow, it's warm for you in the city.

At 3 out in Reston, even Amfib tights were chilly for me, but once I slowed down (off-road / mtb), they were fine. My hands and feet were not fine (no bar mitts on my mtb; lobster gloves were not enough), so that wasn't the most pleasant bike ride. If Friday is colder than 12 I will probably do a loose layer on top of the Amfib tights.

I'm glad to get such cold weather early on, because it's making the more typical "in the 20s" weather so pleasant by comparison. I'm just ecstatic that tomorrow's morning temps are mid 20s.