Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Need stupidly warm tights

Post Thanks / Like

Another option is cross country ski pants - they are a little expensive, but I have found they work great and are not too bulky for cycling. I use them for running and cycling when temps are in the 10-35 deg range (above 35 or so, they are actually too warm even without another layer underneath). On the bike, normal bike shorts with these over them and I'm warm enough. You could add a layer of polypro tights underneath if they weren't sufficient, but I haven't needed to.

https://www.rei.com/product/130268/s...-xc-pants-mens

TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Wow, it's warm for you in the city.

At 3 out in Reston, even Amfib tights were chilly for me, but once I slowed down (off-road / mtb), they were fine. My hands and feet were not fine (no bar mitts on my mtb; lobster gloves were not enough), so that wasn't the most pleasant bike ride. If Friday is colder than 12 I will probably do a loose layer on top of the Amfib tights.

I'm glad to get such cold weather early on, because it's making the more typical "in the 20s" weather so pleasant by comparison. I'm just ecstatic that tomorrow's morning temps are mid 20s.
    Strava says 14, which it might've been once I climbed into McLean, but Weather Underground was showing 16 in DC. But I also left at 730 when the sun was coming up, so I think that made a difference too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pge View Post
    Another option is cross country ski pants - they are a little expensive, but I have found they work great and are not too bulky for cycling. I use them for running and cycling when temps are in the 10-35 deg range (above 35 or so, they are actually too warm even without another layer underneath). On the bike, normal bike shorts with these over them and I'm warm enough. You could add a layer of polypro tights underneath if they weren't sufficient, but I haven't needed to.

https://www.rei.com/product/130268/s...-xc-pants-mens
    Those look to be similar to the Louis Garneau pants I use as a base layer for when it gets really cold/I'll be out in the cold longer than normal. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B011EDUMN6/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post

So, the reason many of you men do not have the same issue that Tania (and myself) face in cold weather is because women tend to have more fatty tissue around the hips and buttocks. Fatty tissue is not profused well (less blood vessels) and does get surprisingly frigid. I solved this by buying the greatest invention of all time. A down skirt. I had a lot of issues at cross races with my butt getting stupid cold standing around waiting for races to start and between/after races. Even with several layers on, it was still really uncomfortable. The down skirt solved all of it. I can even ride a bike in it.

This is the one I got:

I saw a bunch of those skirts at the bikenetic race last month and was jealous since they looked really cozy. It's good to know they're good to bike in, since on long rides I have cold issues in that zone too.

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered the Big Agnes skirt and a pair of UA 4.0 tights since my current pair is...so old I can't even tell you. Maybe 10 years? They were purchased before UA started classifying the different types of cold gear.

Gotta be honest - I always thought the skirt was a cute accessory, not a functional piece of clothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to thank Sunyata for posting a photo of the skirt so that SteveO's winter thong no longer "pops" up as the thread image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

7. Likes Jenkinms, Sunyata, dbb, wheels&wings, Birru and 3 others liked this post
    Dislikes Steve O disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If that skirt maker comes up with a matching codpiece I am all in.

9. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Dislikes dbb disliked this post
    ELITE consularrider ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wore my UA 4.0 tights this morning but if it had been any warmer I think I'd have been uncomfortable. The compression+insulation of the UA 4.0 shirt sometimes gives me the been-sitting-in-the-hot-tub-too-long feeling. I think a looser fitting version would be quite nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still riding in levis commuter jeans with some long johns on underneath. using rain pants/shell to cut the wind off the skin on days like today and tomorrow works great. I wore a sweatshirt and my old snowboarding jacket today and was positively soaked in sweat after pushing against the headwind for a mere 15 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Just ordered the Big Agnes skirt and a pair of UA 4.0 tights since my current pair is...so old I can't even tell you. Maybe 10 years? They were purchased before UA started classifying the different types of cold gear.

Gotta be honest - I always thought the skirt was a cute accessory, not a functional piece of clothing.
    How in the world have I not made you try the skirt?! Last year at Apple Cross, quikaf77 even wore it on the podium (I need to find that picture). It is literally the best piece of cold weather gear I have ever bought.

13. Likes QuikAF77, rcannon100 liked this post