Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need stupidly warm tights

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    So are you all rocking the chamois-free life? I think in that battle I'd be on Team Cold Butt.

All of my tights are chamois free but I'll wear padded bike shorts under them.
    Yeah, I wear padded bike shorts under my chamois-free tights. I don't have enough pairs of tights, at least good ones, to get me through a week if I was changing them out every day. I own one pair of bib tights w/ chamois; I hope they were on sale, because that was the stupidest idea ever. (Besides being non-reusable, they're very cold in uncomfortable places.)

@TwoWheelsDC, I wonder if the salient difference here is that I'm wearing shorts under the amfib tights. This morning was about the coldest that I'd consider wearing them, but they really were plenty warm for 1.25 hrs. But having an extra layer that is shorts makes a big difference in warmth, as I've learned from the my padded-tights Sugoi debacle.
    Last edited by hozn; 01-02-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

All of my tights are chamois free but I'll wear padded bike shorts under them.
    This

3. Likes Jenkinms, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, so where does the smartwool layer come in? Bike shorts > smartwool > tights? In my case, the bike shorts cover all the cold bits that might be ameliorated by the smartwool so that layer's not going to do much.

Post Thanks / Like

Interestingly, Dr. Google tells me that fat doesn't have the same circulation that muscle does.
    My ex used to have the same issue or pretty close. Her butt and outer thighs would get ridiculously cold while she was out skiing or riding in cold weather. Not so much while participating in the activity, but particularly uncomfortable when circulation returned after coming inside. Keeping the insulation layer and shell layer sized for a loose fit (tricky while bent forwards in the cycling position) helped for her. She also used a jacket with a long tail that came down over her butt and sometimes an insulated skirt. The long tailed jacket was the thing she used most.

Edit to add: I got a pair of PI thermal fleece bib shorts for this winter. Great alone with knee or leg warmers but also a very cozy base layer when its time to layer up.
    Last edited by anomad; 01-02-2018 at 02:40 PM.

TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post

@TwoWheelsDC, I wonder if the salient difference here is that I'm wearing shorts under the amfib tights. This morning was about the coldest that I'd consider wearing them, but they really were plenty warm for 1.25 hrs. But having an extra layer that is shorts makes a big difference in warmth, as I've learned from the my padded-tights Sugoi debacle.
    My problem area with the AmFibs was my knees and shins...not awful, but they just weren't as warm as I was expecting based on the reviews. Part of the problem is that my commute is essentially flat until I cross Chain Bridge, so my legs don't warm up until pretty far into my ride...so basically my legs were cold in the AmFibs for the first 10 miles of my commute, then sweaty after the final 2 miles.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so where does the smartwool layer come in? Bike shorts > smartwool > tights? In my case, the bike shorts cover all the cold bits that might be ameliorated by the smartwool so that layer's not going to do much.
    Ideally, you would want the most breathable layers closest to skin. Skin > bike short > smartwool > tights > windshell (if tights don't have wind protection). Some smartwool layers have a windstop built in (basically a plastic liner in between layers), so that's not necessarily bad for an outer layer either. I'd also look to make sure all layers are comfortable - if they're too tight, they can restrict blood flow and make you colder than without. I would suggest that if you're in doubt between two sizes, size up instead of down.

8. Likes Judd liked this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Rapha's Deep Winter tights (no pad) are on sale as are several other models. Unfortunately, none of them are women's.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Rapha's Deep Winter tights (no pad) are on sale as are several other models. Unfortunately, none of them are women's.
    I love Rapha's idea of a sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Interestingly, Dr. Google tells me that fat doesn't have the same circulation that muscle does.
    Well, then how does Dr. google explain my head not getting cold?

You and I are "polar" opp. My feet and hands were the only problem parts. Butt and legs, one layer of winter bibs down to 15. two layers at 20 if a long ride, one bib layer and leg warmers under. Intrested to see what the solution is.

12. Likes ursus, PeteD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    Well, then how does Dr. google explain my head not getting cold?

You and I are "polar" opp. My feet and hands were the only problem parts. Butt and legs, one layer of winter bibs down to 15. two layers at 20 if a long ride, one bib layer and leg warmers under. Intrested to see what the solution is.
    Determined that below freezing is time for the second layer of vestments between me and the outside world. Microfiber boxer brief (mid thigh to keep from rolling up) + Bib Shorts + Leg warmers. If I'm going for an extra long ride, I might throw the Sugoi Firewall 180 pants on instead of just the leg warmers.

After NYD ride, I came home and quickly put the order in for the Bar Mitts.

14. Likes Judd liked this post