Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who rode the longest 1/1/18 ride?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who rode the longest 1/1/18 ride?

Need to know so I can forge the golden ingot. (Made from free range wheel weights gathered off cars and trucks parked in bike lanes)

2. Likes Rod Smith, CBGanimal liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

We only have half the competitors on the leaderboard so you probably have to wait. People apparently don't read instructions.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it longest ride or most miles on January 1?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Smith View Post
    Is it longest ride or most miles on January 1?
    Rod, we have had this conversation before. It still is and has always been the "Longest Ride". I inhereted this pointless prize in this form and chose to keep it just as it is. This leaves it wide open to make a pointless prize of the longest day should you elect to.

6. Likes Raymo853, rcannon100, hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably Josh A, who rode 70 miles, but his Strava is private, so I can't tell if it was all "one ride". David Helms logged a ride of 52.5 miles. Bob James logged a ride of 50 miles and one of 30 miles. I guess he should have paused Strava instead of stopping it. Heck, I could have paused after my 12 mile ride and restarted this morning, pause this evening, restart tomorrow... It's all one ride until I select "save ride".

8. Likes wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably Josh A, who rode 70 miles, but his Strava is private, so I can't tell if it was all "one ride". David Helms logged a ride of 52.5 miles. Bob James logged a ride of 50 miles and one of 30 miles. I guess he should have paused Strava instead of stopping it. Heck, I could have paused after my 12 mile ride and restarted this morning, pause this evening, restart tomorrow... It's all one ride until I select "save ride".
    Yeah yesterday was one Strava ride for me, but paused it three times I believe. If you want more details, let me know.

10. Likes Rod Smith liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Yeah yesterday was one Strava ride for me, but paused it three times I believe. If you want more details, let me know.
    Assuming you authorized the backend with "view private", it should be correctly recorded as a single ride for purposes of this challenge.

12. Likes Raymo853 liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

If we have to, I assume we would apply the same rules that Strava does, i.e. rides have to complete within 24 hours.

Though really if you are pausing a ride for more than a few hours, it isn't the same ride. It would be unfortunate if we had to add moving vs elapsed time checks for people trying to "work around" the intent of the challenge.

Post Thanks / Like

Why the discord?
    The above example violates the Strava protocol as well as the rule and spirit of the Pointless Prize in question. Add to that Bob J as an example?! He is far from a N00b that does not know how a Garmin, a bike or FS works. He could crush this Pointless Prize with one leg on a balance bike should he chose to.

If the general consensus of our oddly dressed, runny nosed, clickity clackety shoe bunch is to change from “A ride” to a “Day” I am fine with that. But it will be for next year as the contest in question has occurred and it would be altogether unfair to the existing but unknown Pointless Prize winner.

15. Likes Bob James, hozn, dbb, rcannon100 liked this post
    ELITE PeteD ELITED this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure the volunteer hosting the pointless prize gets to determine the rules of the game. Respect for those who volunteer.

17. Likes chris_s, Bob James, Mtansill, Steve O, Judd and 1 others liked this post
    ELITE consularrider ELITED this post