Likes Likes:  89
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
ELITE ELITE:  5
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: January 2018 Road and Trail Conditions

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Custis covered in snow, but very passable - many cyclists had used it already
    Custis in the other direction: I started to get on behind Lyon Village, saw the snow, decided to stay on Lee because I was late and didn't want to worry about ice (and there were hardly any cars).
    Custis spurt by Mom's was pavement, rest of Custis to IoD, then connector to TR Island, TR Island and TR bridge were covered in a layer of entirely ride-able snow.
    Streets in DC were 95% pavement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Trail report for Wednesday 17 January. starting about 7:40am
    Custis covered in snow, but very passable - many cyclists had used it already
    Agreed- with photo evidence.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180117_085447.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	16324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180117_085447.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	16324

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice across Memorial Bridge pretty much all the way to Pentagon and then Boundary Channel Drive (actually, I was going the opposite direction). I wonder if NPS are using some sort of snow removal machine since it looked like tire tracks along the edge of the path. Such a great improvement over years past.

Post Thanks / Like

Arlington Parks and Recreation staff let me know via email that they're back out with snow clearing equipment, so Arlington trails should be in solid shape for afternoon/evening adventures and commutes. Send them all the thank you notes! Or send them to be, and I can forward.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    Arlington Parks and Recreation staff let me know via email that they're back out with snow clearing equipment, so Arlington trails should be in solid shape for afternoon/evening adventures and commutes. Send them all the thank you notes! Or send them to be, and I can forward.
    What's the e-mail address for Arlington Parks and Rec? Happy to send them an e-mail since I benefit so much from the trails being cleared.

Post Thanks / Like

Since the schools had a two-hour delay, I rode in on the "late shift" today. Some of the roads remained untreated and were a bit slippery, but overall the conditions were okay. I was thrilled to pass trail-clearing vehicles on both the Custis and the Capital Crescent. I yelled my thank-you's as loud as I could.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    What's the e-mail address for Arlington Parks and Rec? Happy to send them an e-mail since I benefit so much from the trails being cleared.
    Best email for general inquiries and thanks is trails@arlingtonva.us

Post Thanks / Like

W&OD from Vienna to Columbia Pike hadn't been touched when I rode in around 7am this morning. It wasn't too slick and I was fine with regular tires and giving myself more stopping distance and time. I thought I saw some pretreating yesterday from Columbia Pike to the Custis turn off. In all, the snow only extended my 20 mile commute by 8-10 min

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    The trail part of the MBT this morning (around 8AM) was untreated but passable. Slick in the usual spots (e.g., the R Street zigzag), but overall fine so long as you don't ride like an idiot and take it easy. Besides - there's not enough snow cover to make riding like an idiot fun anyway
    6PM report - the MBT was very icy and dangerous. In particular, it was almost solid ice between NY Ave and the zig zag, and a lot of icy bands elsewhere on the trail. We ended up bailing at T after our 3rd or 4th near fall (getting caught in a rut in the ice to kick us one way or the other), and the looks of more to come. I'd recommend sticking to the streets until things can thaw out a bit.

Also of note - the M Street cycletrack between 3rd and 4th NE (just east of REI) also was a solid sheet of ice.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The riverside lane of the CCT was a nightmare, with black ice and packed snow for long stretches. I was very glad to have studs. Below Foundry Branch, it was also unplowed and fairly treacherous. The RCP trail also had lots of black ice and packed snow.