Likes Likes:  89
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
ELITE ELITE:  5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 99

Thread: January 2018 Road and Trail Conditions

  1. #41
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,408
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Custis (and spur) from Mom's to IoD was great. Custis/MVT to TR Island parking lot was great. Most of the trail on the east side of the parking lot was covered, but I too the lot. The trail on the west side of the lot was fine, Trollheim to go to TR Bridge was fine, TR Bridge was fine. DC streets and sidewalks were great.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Shirlington area
    Posts
    900
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    From the MVT South facebook page:
    "The trail was in very slick shape this evening, as the temps hovered around 32 with freezing rain. With forecast temps of 28 at 7:00am tomorrow, I predict it will NOT be passable, unless you have studded tires."

    My driveway and front porch near the Tulane exit off the GWMP is already a sheet of ice, so I'd trust Adam's prediction.

  3. #43
    rcannon100's Avatar
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Posts
    4,277
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    WOD from MVT to Bluemont: Asphalt trail on ground was fine. Any elevated trails have a sheen of ice on them.
    Last edited by rcannon100; 01-08-2018 at 06:29 PM.

  4. #44
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    2,894
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default January 2018 Road and Trail Conditions

    Twitter report that the Met Branch is encased in ice.

    https://twitter.com/embeeshea/status/950522147528691713

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Judd; 01-08-2018 at 07:46 PM.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Madison Manor
    Posts
    1,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    WOD from MVT to Bluemont: Asphalt trail on ground was fine. Any elevated trails have a sheen of ice on them.
    This kind of Sheen?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charlie-sheen-300.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	16086

    Or this kind?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sheen_from_planet_sheen.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	16087

  6. #46
    rcannon100's Avatar
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Posts
    4,277
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    This kind of Sheen?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charlie-sheen-300.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	16086

    Or this kind?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sheen_from_planet_sheen.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	16087

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    From the MVT South facebook page:
    "The trail was in very slick shape this evening, as the temps hovered around 32 with freezing rain. With forecast temps of 28 at 7:00am tomorrow, I predict it will NOT be passable, unless you have studded tires."

    My driveway and front porch near the Tulane exit off the GWMP is already a sheet of ice, so I'd trust Adam's prediction.
    Could someone go out to the real shady spots between the marina and the airport tomorrow morning between 530 and 6 and let me know if I should ride regular tires, studs, or fat bike?

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Falls Church VA
    Posts
    799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Black Ice Alert: WOD at mile 6.0 Shelter by the Masonic Lodge and mile 7.5 at Poplar Heights tennis courts. I went down on both spots on my commute home tonight. You can ride the gravel service road/trail instead and get much better traction (says he in hindsight). Stay upright on tomorrow morning's commute!

    Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    2,324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2U View Post
    Black Ice Alert: WOD at mile 6.0 Shelter by the Masonic Lodge and mile 7.5 at Poplar Heights tennis courts. I went down on both spots on my commute home tonight.
    Only one thing for it:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0188.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	16088

    (FYI that's literally by the tennis courts!)

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I slipped and fell an hour ago at my doorstep as a pedestrian, despite having a thermometer 6 feet away that says 34 F.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •