Likes Likes:  89
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
ELITE ELITE:  5
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2018 Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

W&OD from Vienna to Banneker Park is pretty good. Less than an inch of snow, no real ice to speak of, but Van Buren St. was probably the worst cleared street I saw today. the slush at the crossings along the trail are the biggest hazard. The bridges/overpasses were all very rideable as well.
    From Banneker park to the sisters on W&OD/Custis is pretty well cleared as well, it looks like they made 2 passes along there this morning, but from the sisters to the moguls, it's a little more snow. From the moguls down to the MVT was cleared very well with salt and melting nicely. The wooden bridge by Roosevelt Island wasn't as bad as anticipated and the MVT from there to the 14th st bridge was fantastic. The high winds swept all the snow off the trail and it was completely clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    MVT about a third clear (thanks wind) from the Crystal City Connector to the 14th St Bridge. Remainder had less than an inch of snow with no ice. I was on 35 mm Schwalbe Marathons (no studs) and had no trouble. Wind is ripping down the channel so bundle up.
    Let's hope that is a massive tail wind on the way home! I rode the fat bike and it damn near killed me.

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180104_105327.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	16026

Custis from the S Curve to Rosslyn had been brushed a second time since the early AM commute when I went by at 10:45 am. A dusting of snow on the brushed part of the trail, but all very rideable. Toughest part of my ride was getting to the trail, riding on snow packed down from car tires. No ice, even on the overpasses. So far, so good.

Post Thanks / Like

Going westward on the W&OD through Vienna just now, as I passed by Caboose Brewing, I spied car headlights approaching in the distance. At first I thought some dummy had turned onto the trail in the snow, but then I saw the yellow flashing lights and heard the sound of a service truck. I turned off shortly thereafter at Northside Park, so I didn't actually cross paths with the truck, but from the sound of it, I'd say they were out making a pass with a brush or something. I have high hopes for an even easier commute home this afternoon. (I wish I had stayed at my turn long enough to see what they were up to, but I had gotten cold enough that I decided I could wait to find out.)

Post Thanks / Like

Default roads, WOD, 4MR, MVT, Crescent

--The streets I rode in VA and DC were in good shape.
    --The WOD was cleared! Not all the way down to the pavement, but it helps nonetheless…. I yelled thank-you to the guys in the vehicle. I rode the WOD from Patrick Henry to Shirlington.
    --Be careful crossing George Mason…there are some slippery bits as you enter the street.
    --Four Mile Run from Shirlington to the MVT is completely clear.
    --The MVT is fine, for the most part. As others have noted, the wind did a good job in removing some of the snow. Exercise caution in locations where the trail runs parallel to the road. There’s some icy pavement beneath the snow, perhaps due to moisture from the roadway. The most slippery areas were alongside the airport (e.g., in the narrow trail area between the wire fence and the road) and the trail along the highway near Roosevelt Island.
    --Key Bridge was cleared and salted. Yay!
    --The Crescent Trail was neither plowed nor treated. Snow is deeper in the forested areas. This trail could become more challenging in the coming days if it ices over.
    Be safe everyone.
    w&w

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    The Crescent Trail was neither plowed nor treated. Snow is deeper in the forested areas. This trail could become more challenging in the coming days if it ices over
    I was told that it has been plowed, and is actually in better shape that the roads, in the Montgomery County section. However, DC has not plowed its section of the trail. Comparison photo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MCvDC.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	16028
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 01-04-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

No problem riding 30 slicks from Reston to Crystal City on the WOD and 4MR. The WOD was actually brushed between the Custis interchange and Columbia Pike. That's a first, and a welcome change.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    Let's hope that is a massive tail wind on the way home! I rode the fat bike and it damn near killed me.
    That sounds like my morning commute. I swear the Pugsley stopped a couple of times from the head wind. My legs hurt and I'm ready for a nap.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    I was told that it has been plowed, and is actually in better shape that the roads, in the Montgomery County section. However, DC has not plowed its section of the trail.
    The DC section was actually fun to ride this morning, mainly because the northbound side of the trail was mostly undisturbed and covered in dry snow. But it will be hell this evening after it has been packed down.

Post Thanks / Like

Is Hains Point usually plowed pretty fast?