Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: January 2018 Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

For those who use MVT South, watch out for Dyke Marsh Bridge. It was very icy tonight to the point I had to bail and walk, which was a challenge itself. Tomorrow morning will be rough. Take it slow and easy.
    Last edited by Left Field; Yesterday at 08:54 PM. Reason: verbs

2. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

4MRT from Meade to Walter Reed was clear, maybe a few spots here and there to avoid.
    W&OD from Walter Reed to George Mason was very clear, except for some very avoidable splotches.
    W&OD from George Mason to Columbia Pike had a clear lane down the middle with occasional widening.
    W&OD from Columbia Pike to Bluemont Trail was mostly snow with one or two clear patches and a couple of icy areas to avoid - stay on the snow if you can.
    Bluemont Trail From W&OD to Fairfax Dr was plowed only occasional patches of snow/ice the machine didn't get.
    Fairfax drive and Quincy were good in Ballston.
    Ballston connector was plowed but had many missed areas, some of which were icy. However, all small and easy to not fall.
    Custis was plowed from Ballston connector to St Anne's and only had a few missed patches.

Anyone know what Trollheim is like? Or the bridge in LBJ grove? I would like to do that tomorrow morning.

4. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Or the bridge in LBJ grove? I would like to do that tomorrow morning.
    Columbia Marina, LBJ Grove, and Boundary Channel Drive were almost completely clear this evening. Just watch out for a few puddles in the slate areas by LBJ, which will probably be ice tomorrow morning.

6. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    Columbia Marina, LBJ Grove, and Boundary Channel Drive were almost completely clear this evening. Just watch out for a few puddles in the slate areas by LBJ, which will probably be ice tomorrow morning.
    NPS is clearing LBJ this year so Id give it a try when in doubt about your normal routes. The bridge can sometimes frost over night so I always take it slow and avoid turning the wheel.

Stay safe out there everybody!

Post Thanks / Like

There was a patch of snowy ice on the MVT between the 14th Street Bridge and the turn off for the MVT up to the bridge. A lady rider had just gone down about 1830 (she was OK). Going to be slick in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post

Anyone know what Trollheim is like? Or the bridge in LBJ grove? I would like to do that tomorrow morning.
    Trollheim was snow covered this evening as was a good bit of the MVT just south of Trollheim. I decided to run studs tomorrow even though they wont be needed in the afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

I encountered a few very isolated patches of ice on the W&OD tonight coming from Vienna to Falls Church between 9:00 and 10:00. They were pretty much all in the transitions between snowy areas and clear areas, and after I realized what to look for, I had no trouble spotting them. I briefly considered riding studs tomorrow, but if I ride with due care, I think they would be overkill, and not worth pushing the extra weight around. I did have fat, medium-knobby tires on this evening, and felt that gave me the confidence I needed, as the ride is still 90% thinly packed snow.