Likes Likes:  266
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  14
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: #fs2018donut

Post Thanks / Like

Default #fs2018donut

Starting the thread for all Fans of Donuts/Doughneurists/Doughnutphiles. I am just the proxy: the one and only Edelweiss is the arbiter of all things donut (doughnut) as she was last year. I am just coordinating in her absence as Colorado Springs is a tad bit far away at the moment. She will expand on the rules, challenges, and scoring.

For now, what you need to know is you MUST include the hashtag #fs2018donut in your ride title for the ride to count. The hashtag is CASE-SENSITIVE (actually it is case-sensitive as every letter is lower case). I’ve also used the simplified spelling “donut” (not “doughnut” or “doughneuring”) in the hopes of less misspellings.

Also include the donut shop name and the name of the donut along with pictures of same. Posting on this thread is also encouraged with a link to your Strava ride and any comments you have about the donut, shop, or other notable items.

Let the Hunt for Donuts commence!!!

@Edelweiss, the forum is yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Starting off the new year with Bold Bite, because we all need something bold with this weather! This is an off shoot of 202 donuts in Bethesda. They don't seem to have the same selection as the Bethesda location as I've yet to see the passion fruit one, or maybe this is seasonal. They do seem to have lots with dulce du lecce, chocolate, or coconut flakes. During December they had a really nice chocolate mint one, I think called peppermint patty. If you go after 3 or 4 pm, it's 2 for 1 since they have to sell all their donuts. I got the Samoa and a pecan one. Nom nom nom...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bold Bites Location

Quote Originally Posted by bikedavid View Post
    Starting off the new year with Bold Bite, because we all need something bold with this weather! This is an off shoot of 202 donuts in Bethesda. They don't seem to have the same selection as the Bethesda location as I've yet to see the passion fruit one, or maybe this is seasonal. They do seem to have lots with dulce du lecce, chocolate, or coconut flakes. During December they had a really nice chocolate mint one, I think called peppermint patty. If you go after 3 or 4 pm, it's 2 for 1 since they have to sell all their donuts. I got the Samoa and a pecan one. Nom nom nom...
    David! Excellent First Doungneuring Post!
    Bold Bites is near DuPont Circle, which needed a new place since Golden Brown & Delicious closed. Also a location in Union Market.

OPEN MON-FFRI

7:30AM - 5PM

Downtown DC

BOLD BITE MARKET & 202 DONUTS

1028 19th Street NW,
    Washington, DC 20036
    (202) 758-2070

e

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

A triple Doughneuring DNF today. For our Friday Morning Coffee Club ride, three of us rode out to Oberursel and stopped at the Café Castillo in the pedestrian zone. While they roast their own coffee, they do not sell doughnuts, DNF #1. To top it off that gps file for the ride appears corrupted, so I can't upload to Strava and get no #FS credit for the ride. After getting home I decided to go back out and run some errands to get another ride in for #BAFS points. I planned my route to go by the Tasty Donuts location on Eschersheimer Landstraße, but it turned out they were still closed for Christmas break, DNF #2. Onward and upward. Remembering I saw doughnuts at the Bäckerei Raimund in Ginnheim yesterday, I meandered through Grüneburgpark and Niddapark collecting my day's #fs2018dirtybiker point. Of course when I got to the bakery at 3 pm they were out of doughnuts and since it was raining and I only had one more kilometer to home I kept going, DNF #3.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Try, Try, Again!

Just so you all know, in the same vein as Calvinball, I, with my helpers kwarkenten and Millie, the arbiters of Doughneuring, & spreadsheet overlords, will award points as we see fit. So a sad, unsuccessful attempt may get you points if reported here. BikeDavid got points last year for posting a pix of "Donuts Sold Out". So keep Doughneuring!

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    A triple Doughneuring DNF today. For our Friday Morning Coffee Club ride, three of us rode out to Oberursel and stopped at the Café Castillo in the pedestrian zone. While they roast their own coffee, they do not sell doughnuts, DNF #1. To top it off that gps file for the ride appears corrupted, so I can't upload to Strava and get no #FS credit for the ride. After getting home I decided to go back out and run some errands to get another ride in for #BAFS points. I planned my route to go by the Tasty Donuts location on Eschersheimer Landstraße, but it turned out they were still closed for Christmas break, DNF #2. Onward and upward. Remembering I saw doughnuts at the Bäckerei Raimund in Ginnheim yesterday, I meandered through Grüneburgpark and Niddapark collecting my day's #fs2018dirtybiker point. Of course when I got to the bakery at 3 pm they were out of doughnuts and since it was raining and I only had one more kilometer to home I kept going, DNF #3.

Post Thanks / Like

A valiant effort consularider!

Continuing the search for all things round, I stopped by the new Sugar Shack in Shaw on the way home. This one is open late, until 1 am, so you can get your sugar fix after Ben's chili bowl. Also interesting is that there is a speakeasy bar in the basement because presumably boozy drinks and donuts go hand in hand. Not sure if there are any donuts particular to this location but there was an Elvis one in honor of his upcoming birthday. I think it had banana, peanut butter, and bacon as it's rumored that is Elvis' favorite sandwich. Instead I got the Mexican chocolate. Me gusta.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    ...three of us rode ...
    Pictures or it didnt happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Pictures or it didnt happen.
    You want picture repeats?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00885.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	16050 Look RC, people!

Name:	DSC00887.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	16051 Another sad sight, I think I've only seen this cafe in Grüneburgpark open a couple of time in the 18 months I've been in Frankfurt.

Post Thanks / Like

Default #FS18domut. Doughneuring Returns Pointless Prize

Do you like Doughnuts? Who doesn't?!

The #FS18donut Doughneuring Challenge starts now!

The Rules:
    1. Ride your bike to a Doughnut Shop. Also acceptable-- bakery, pastry shop, Konditerei, tea room or other purveyor of fine doughnuts.
    2. Choose one doughnut from the selection, or more, as you wish!
    3. Take a picture of the doughnut(s)
    4. BITE into that doughnut!
    5. Post on this thread that picture, location, and a description of the sweet deliciousness.

The Points--subject to change at the whim of the sponsors: edelweiss, Kwarkentien, mtansill.
    1. Ten (10) points will be awarded for each unique doughnut location visited with a doughnut review and photo.
    1.1 You may (and should) visit multiple doughnut places of the same name, so go to all the Sugar Shacks, and B Doughnuts, and Duck Donuts you can pedal to. Once per unique storefront will count, except for that rule is waived on Official Doughneuring Rides with the sponsors.*
    2. One (1) point will be awarded for each unique doughnut per location submitted with a photo and comment.
    3. Many incentive challenges with bonus points will appear in this thread to keep you pedaling out in search of doughnuts. For example, points for a Valentine doughnut on or around February 14th. Watch the thread
    4. This is Freezing Saddles, of course you can try to bribe the sponsors for points with offerings of doughnuts!

The rider with the most points at the end of FS18 will be awarded a special pointless prize. There will be lots of prizes, equally pointless.

Some Clarifications and the Slippery Slope

No Bagels. Is a bagel a doughnut? No, it is not!
    No pies. No cookies. No scones.
    Absolutely No Cupcakes!

However, the following sweet treats will be given consideration for points if the rider submits a compelling description and is able to sway the judges:
    Aepfelskivers
    Churros
    Danish
    Bear Claws
    Beaver Tails
    Kringle
    Koing Amman
    Chocolate Croissant
    Cronuts or similar.

Finally, the Sorriest Doughnut Doughneuring Prize will be awarded to the rider who submits the sorriest doughnut entry including packaged, processed, or vending machine doughnuts, such as any Hostess or Little Debbie doughnut product. Similar entries will be judged by the description of the product.

* Save the dates! Edelweiss will return to lead you on TWO doughnut rides in March: March 17th for Maryland-DC Doughnuts, and March 18th for Virginia-DC donuts. I will also be at final night Hains Point to ride like a hamster.

Eat more doughnuts!! Edelweiss
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

My first doughnut ride of fs2018! HDCC group ride along the Nidda to Bad Vilbel where we stopped at Der Bäcker Eifler. I had a Donut mit Schoko to go with my coffee. The basic German doughnut, between a cake and yeast in consistency, maybe a little bland.

Name:	DSC00911.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	16110 That's a Roisenweck in the background.

Name:	DSC00901.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	16111 Exterior shot from Sunday's ride to the same location.

Name:	HDCC Jan 10 I.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	16112 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HDCC Jan 10 II.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	16113 HD group in actual sunshine!
    Last edited by consularrider; 01-10-2018 at 07:03 AM.