Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: !! C a l v i n b a l l !!

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool !! C a l v i n b a l l !!

Calvinball, the only true Freezing Saddles game, where the rules are constantly made up and the points don't matter.

I am Tim the Enchanter, keeper of the score, final arbiter of the rules.

Your quest is to seek thee the gameball, hidden secretly amongst the cycling trails inside the beltway (but not to be found in any federal park).

Seek the game ball. Maketh up a new ordinance for the game. Hide the sacred ball. Post your new ordinance along with guidance on how those who follow can seek the gameball. Thou shall find, hide and post within the same hours 24.

For finding the gameball, ye shall be awarded 5 points, less a point for each day that passeth before the gameball is once again uncovered.

Ye may find the gameball but once during each orbit of the sun.* Ye may possess the gameball but once every other turn.

If your new ordinance nets three likes, ye shall likewise be award points equaling five and your ordinance shall be implemented as law of the game, which all who play must loyally adhere.

This be not organized competition. This be Calvinball. New rules are obliged to follow the spirit of Saint Calvin and Saint Hobbes. New ordinances shall not thee be bills of attainder but must generally apply to all fools of venture into our midst. New ordinances cannot benefit the ordinance's scribe uniquely. New ordinances should make the court jester smile upon thee, and shall not place any in existential peril.

If a new ordinance shall contravene an old ordinance, the ordinance with highest net likes shall be declared the law.

Those who play shall seek their reward as follows:
    • Rosalyn Award :: The player with the ordinance that has acquired the most net likes at the time of the next find
    • Miss Wormwood Award :: The player with the most implemented ordinances
    • Spaceman Spiff Award :: Best Calvinball
    • Calvin Award :: Tim’s Award of Mystery (oooooooooohhh)
    • Hobbes Award :: Slacker with the highest score
    • Susie Award :: Most swag points
    Lost Dog Rescue Award :: Most Dog Pictures

** Consider Thee Calvinball a Hot-potatoe game - not a hide-and-seek game. This be not geocaching. More, we wish the Calvinball attain perpetual motion, constantly moving, from pilgrim to pilgrim. (Translation: dont make your hides hard or your rules constraining. The more silliness the better)
    ** NOTE This is not a winner take all game. "The points dont matter"

* The Sun orbits around the earth. Only heretics would suggest otherwise. We burn heretics. Well, only if they weigh the same as a duck.
    Last edited by rcannon100; 01-14-2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: No Sport is Less Organized than Calvinball

2. ELITE Kitty, bobco85, chuxtr, Vicegrip ELITED this post
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Ordinances

Generic Enchantment Clause: Compliance with ordinances devoid of enforcement provisions shall receive the generic enchantment of up to three points.

Hints
    * Hints must be given in the form of a hiaku (with additional elements, i.e. photos, allowed).

Field of Play
    * NPS is out of bounds
    * We shall be allowed to play thy game outside said beltway
    * new Calvinballs must be put into play at least 1 mile from the previous one.
    * Taking the Calvinball across state lines is worth 10 points. Going between MoCo -- PG, Arlington -- Alexandria, or from one quadrant of DC to another is worth 3 points.

Calvinballs
    * If you replace the gameball with a new Calvinball - if your new gameball nets 4 likes - you get 10 points. A new gameball becomes the gameball immediately upon placement. Create a new post showing the new gameball so that it can potentially net four likes.
    * If you post a picture of the calvinball with a doggo or pupper you get 10 bonus points because they're good dogs
    * If thou retrieveth this Nivlacball and are unable to solve it ere a reasonable period of time (2-3 hours), then thou may not replaceth it, but must passeth it along to the next player who is then also bound by this ordinance. This ordinance shall also apply at any time this or any other puzzle box is introduced or re-introduced into Calvinball. Failure to abideth by this ordinance shall result in one week of play during which thou may earn no points (thou may play, but shan't get points).
    * If a player captures two (or more) Calvinballs during the same day, they may abolish one ordinance of their choosing (to be selected on the day of the simultaneous capture).

Swag
    * If ye include cool swag with a Calvinball, ye shall receive 5 points
    * If swag is consumed on premise, 10 points shall be awarded.

Scoreboard

Because Calvinball is in part medieval, the score shall - if its possible - be kept on the linked spread sheet

Pilgrim :: Total Score
    Just remember, since the points dont matter - pilgrims can join the game at any point.

Josh :: 84 points
    CBGanimal :: 78 points
    Reji :: 78 points
    SteveO :: 55 points
    NemaVeze :: 43 Points
    Vicegrip :: 20 points
    TDean :: 18 points
    rcannon100 :: 15 points
    megoc42 :: 10 points
    Huberww :: 10 points

Last edited by rcannon100; 01-21-2018 at 09:22 PM. Reason: rules rules rules rules rules rules rules rules rules rules rules rules rules rules rules rules rules rules

4. Likes josh, kwarkentien, Vicegrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Calvinball begins! (Because Calvinball doesnt follow the rules and wait for the start of freeing saddles).

The Calvinball is hidden in the parking lot of Bikenetic (but of course)

New Proposed Rule: A player who replaces the Calvinball with a new cool Calvinball (defined as receiving 4 net votes) shall be awarded 10 points.

So here is how it works

I get no finding points because I didn’t find the gameball. I just started the game.

If this post nets three likes, I get 5 points for a new rule and the rule becomes law.

I cannot find thee ball again today or until three other people find it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6D2BE897-256B-4DAD-9151-D6D5327066AB.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	15955

Name:	05E4E715-1759-4DEE-ADF0-AE13310277F7.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	15956

Post Thanks / Like

how does one recognize a calvinball? Is it unmistakable, or did I miss this in the rules.

7. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    how does one recognize a calvinball? Is it unmistakable, or did I miss this in the rules.
    The Calvinball is currently a magnet. It is in the picture above. It says “Calvinball. Freezing Saddles 2018”

9. Likes Vicegrip, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Calvinball has been acquired. Mwhahahaha!!! New location to be posted shortly.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Calvin ball already.

That is all, carry on......

12. Likes streetsmarts, kwarkentien liked this post
    ELITE rcannon100 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oakwood Cemetery

Calvinball has been hidden in the back of Oakwood Cemetery next to the fence.

Name:	20171229_163505.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	15957

Name:	20171229_165803.jpg 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	15958

14. ELITE rcannon100 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does the addition of gin count as replacing the Calvin ball? So if Reji gets five likes on her post she gets 10 Points for Calvin ball replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reji View Post
    Calvinball has been hidden in the back of Oakwood Cemetery next to the fence.

Name:	20171229_163505.jpg 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	15957

Name:	20171229_165803.jpg 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	15958
    Next person has to add either Sweet Vermouth or Campari. Person after that, the next person adds the last ingredient for a Calvinball Negroni!

18. Likes kwarkentien, reji, fxbooks, rcannon100 liked this post