Thread: biking goals 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Had two goals this year:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20116983_10209353188567197_5295282868847253247_o.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	15937
    Climb all three sides up Mont Ventoux in one ride.

and...

Name:	19983284_10209353185407118_5280852691374084884_o.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	15938
    Climb 4 2000m Cols and the other 3 in the Ubaye valley.

Ancillary Things:
    - Over 7000 miles.
    - Bike Commute, since I no longer work from home - Hitting 80% there.
    - Completed two self-organized 200k efforts.
    - Sub 5h Century
    - Cat 4 upgrade & Race.

2018 Things:
    - Commute enough that the Metro Rate (~13 a day) pays for the Boone.
    - 7000 miles again.
    - Get my daughter off Training Wheels.
    - Mt Washington or Pikes Peak Hill Climb.
    - Do an "official" 200k brevet or two.
    - If I don't go to Scotland for summer vacation, do a Luberon / Vaucluse / Drome hilltop-town bike trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
    Had two goals this year:

Name:	20116983_10209353188567197_5295282868847253247_o.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	15937
    Climb all three sides up Mont Ventoux in one ride.

and...

Name:	19983284_10209353185407118_5280852691374084884_o.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	15938
    That is very bad ass! Congrats!

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It is always inspirational to see what others have done.

My goal in 2017 was to ride less and enjoy it more. Looks like 8600 miles this year; it's funny that this is a light year now. A couple of fantastic months or riding in Switzerland (less frequently, since splitting morning exercise time slots with my wife).

One road race was one too many. There are a few fun races, but as an unattached rider road racing is not that interesting. And I have no time to join a team. So I still have a goal to podium at Page Valley someday -- or start by hanging on with the Masters -- but for 2018 I don't plan to renew my USAC license.

On the other hand, I discovered that I love gravel racing. Did monster cross (and won men's open cx!), Hilly Billy and Iron Cross. I plan to do those again and add GRUSK and maybe one other. I started off with good fitness, but need to work harder to develop/maintain that into summer. Having goals helps.

Mostly in 2018 I plan to ride more with my kids, as they're getting older and that is becoming a real cycling option. My son and I rode Meadow Wood for a bit yesterday which was SO MUCH FUN. And terrifying to watch him ride the BOSS Trail features. More of that.

And I just dropped the 20" frame for the little kid at the powder coating place. Gears are a game changer. So that is a fun project for this winter. It is gonna be awesome. And probably building a cx/road bike for the 7yo/8yo next summer.

So basically, my goal for 2018 is to continue the "less is more" trend. Fewer, but better, races. More family rides. More rides with friends.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    2017 Goals:
    • Fail. I bikepacked more often by just leaving my house, but didn't do any difficult trails (i.e., mountain biking). I didn't tally it, but I may have bikepacked less this year. For me, this is the biggest bummer.
    • Fail. Didn't try/practice this enough.
    • Fail. Didn't even bother trying to do it.
    • Win. Something I've never done before until this month was ride onto a Picnic table (). Another thing was riding on the wall in front of UM (). About the wall thing, I always imagined I'd hit the chainring on the tops, stall and fall over, but it was not the case. In fact, it was much easier than I thought

All said, I did do more miles this year (4,008.5 miles) than last (2799.1 miles), and that was primarily because I did more riding on the road. The reason I rode more on the road is because I joined Freezing Saddles. This was my first year, and I really enjoyed riding and meeting people through FS.

2018 Biking Goals:
    1. Bikepack 8 times
    2. Ride up and onto the UM Wall (instead of starting on top of it)
    3. Manual for more than 5 seconds
    4. Do at least 1 100 mile century

That's it. I know it seems wacky, but that's how I roll.

Post Thanks / Like

Due to some off the bike highs and lows, 2017 was a down cycling year for me.

For 2018, I want to do more more group rides. I really enjoyed the group O&B ride to Annapolis (and I hope everyone else did as well) and it made me realize that while I do enjoy my solo rides, sometimes it's good to be with a group.

Ride more new routes and to new places; expand my Strava heatmap. To that end, I'm looking at a few century rides in New England

Participate in Wednesday Night Spins

Ride more gravel; Planning to ride the Croatan Buck Fifty and I'm interested in the Whiskey Rebellion Gravel, Hill Billy Roubaix, & GRUSK as well as a few others. Unfortunately, there's a few scheduling conflicts with some other rides I'm interested in.

Not sure if I can take enough time off to do all at once, but finally ride the entirety of the the C&O & GAP trails.

I still feel yearly mileage goals tend to turn into obligations for me, but I do want to hit 1k in a month and complete over 300 in a week.

Other goals:

Finally learn to:
    Ride with no hands, I can occasionally go for a short stretch, but usually feel like I'm going to slide off the front of the seat

Bunny hop sufficiently well enough to jump a curb

Post Thanks / Like

2017 Goals:
    • Participate in freezing saddles and don't land in the bottom 25%. I achieved this. I've never ridden through the winter before so this was fun.
    • Attend more bike events. Achieved! I made it to more happy hours, fun club rides, WABA rides, and bike parties. And I'm really grateful I did--some forum members have become great friends this year, and that is something I'm endlessly thankful for.
    • Increase mileage to 3,500ish. This is about 1,000 miles more than prior years. I'll end the year at around 5,600 miles. I forgot to even check my mileage until I was over 4,000. The longer commute plus doing more group rides means I went way beyond what I expected.
    • Ride 100 miles in a day for the first time. I achieved this in March on one of those ridiculously nice spring days, and then during the summer/fall rode 3 organized centuries, the ride to Annapolis (107 miles from my start point), and rode a surprise century with Judd. At one point I had ridden 4 centuries in 5 weeks (and only missed the 5th week by ~10 miles because I had to stop and let the dog out). This was the biggest goal for me personally. After hip surgery in 2016 I was pretty sad because I felt like I could never do the long (60-80) mile rides I used to do since it hurt so much. I learned during the first ride or two how to stretch and manage the pain without it becoming unbearable, and then pushed myself to keep riding as much as I could.

2018 Goals:
    • Increase freezing saddles points to be above 2017's 1200 points.
    • Make it to 6,000 miles. This is going to heavily rely on bike commuting more during the winter and continuing to do long rides on the weekend during the summer/fall.
    • Go on more bike-adventures. This means trying more trails, try biking somewhere like Harpers Ferry for an overnight, and anything else fun I can think of.
    • Run more errands by bike. This will be helped if I can eventually move closer to the city this year, but even now I can grab groceries, and run other errands by bike. I just need to remember carry a bag and lock more often.

Post Thanks / Like

If you announce your goals publicly, you then have to do them, right?

My 3 goals for 2018 are:

1) Be more social in DC biking stuff -- posting here, Friday coffee clubs, group rides, etc. (Second post ever! So far so good!)
    2) Do freezing saddles.
    3) Complete a super randonneur series.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    2017 Goals:
    Ride every day during Freezing Saddles (keep the streak alive!)
    Get more comfortable on drop bars
    Bikepack again (without the hypothermia this time)
    Increase both speed and endurance
    Do more gravel races (Dirty Kanza is on the calendar if I can get in)
    Learn to remount my bike properly (cyclocross-style)
    Buy a cross specific bike
    Move up to a Cat 3 in cyclocross
    Get more women involved in racing (MTB, gravel, & cross)
    Ride at least one metric century 10 months out of the year
    1) Done. Currently on day 728 of the "ride outside every day" streak.
    2) Done... Sort of. Not sure I will ever be really comfortable with drop bars, but I bought a second drop bar bike for cross season and have loved riding and racing it.
    3) Failed. I got promoted this year and between training for races, cross season, and my new job responsibilities, I just have not had time. Hopefully next year!
    4) Done. Now to get even faster!
    5) Done. Monster Cross, DK200, Grusk, Keystone were all amazing events this past year.
    6) Hahahahaha. Yeah.
    7) Done. My Super Jake is pretty damned awesome.
    8) Done. It took all season, but I finally got my upgrade!
    9) Done. But there is definitely more work to be done here.
    10) Failed. Cross season killed my motivation to do a 100k the last four months of the year. Whoops.

2018 Goals:
    Quality NOT quantity. I have some very specific training goals this year (yes, I am actually going to train) and need to ride less empty miles and do more structured training. Sorry BAFS team...
    DK200 in less than 16 hours.
    Mountain bike more.
    SM100 in less than 13 hours.
    Get more women involved in racing!
    Not be DFL in the Cat 3 races.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    It is always inspirational to see what others have done.
    Inspired by drevil (and others), I have decided to actually set myself some proper quantitative (and personal) goals that I can check at the end of 2018.

1) Advance to unicycling level 4. (Looks like I've basically achieved level 2.)
    1b) Build a 29" unicycle? This would be fun, though I might decide to do something more practical and upgrade my MTB first.
    2) I'm gonna copy drevil and say I want to manual for more than 5 seconds. I can ride for a few seconds now, but not consistently. I think I'll need to fit flat pedals.
    3) Track stand with my wheel pointing left. This sounds ridiculous, but I'm comfortable standing for a couple minutes with wheel pointed right and haven't found my balance with wheel pointed left.
    4) Podium in at least one off-road (or gravel) race. To do this is going to require some actual work, but having goals feels good.
    5) Relatedly, I need to drop my weight by ~12lbs (I think holiday cheer has put me up around 185lbs; 172+lbs is doable without feeling like a sacrifice.)

Post Thanks / Like

My goals for 2017 were:

Have fun!
    Ride 10K miles
    Have fun!
    Be more social with bikey people
    Have fun!
    Ride an imperial century every month
    Have fun!

I did pretty good on my goals. I had tons of fun, rode 10K miles and did a lot more group rides, coffee clubs and happy hours than I expected. I rode a century each month Jan-Oct, but failed in Nov and Dec because I wasn't willing to sacrifice other social events for an all-day ride.

My goals for 2018 are:

Lead a group ride
    Make my BAFS2018 team the most awesome fun team!
    Go watch a CX race
    Try some real gravel rides and my stretch goal is ride the Heck of the South (https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19746308)
    I'm switching my measurable goal from miles to feet! Ride 450K feet in elevation (which will take some effort since my normal commute doesn't offer much climbing)
    No major injuries
    Continue to have fun!