Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Columbia Pike & Washington Blvd (again)

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Columbia Pike & Washington Blvd (again)

Didn't get a good look as I drove past, but saw enough to know there was another bike / car crash at Columbia Pike & Washington Blvd this morning around 9am. I hope everyone involved is ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Default More info?

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Didn't get a good look as I drove past, but saw enough to know there was another bike / car crash at Columbia Pike & Washington Blvd this morning around 9am. I hope everyone involved is ok.
    Going which direction? I avoid this intersection if at all possible, by going through Ft Myer. (Temporary pass/ID is available to civilians who live in the neighborhood.)

Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    VDOT was not our friend when they rebuilt the bridge. Could you tell if it was in the road or on the sidewalk? There's a lot of problems with cars exiting Washington Blvd on to the Pike without stopping or looking. I was taking the sidepath for a while on the way home but started taking the lane instead after a few too many instances where my life was spared solely because I was biking very defensively.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    VDOT was not our friend when they rebuilt the bridge. Could you tell if it was in the road or on the sidewalk? There's a lot of problems with cars exiting Washington Blvd on to the Pike without stopping or looking. I was taking the sidepath for a while on the way home but started taking the lane instead after a few too many instances where my life was spared solely because I was biking very defensively.
    Looked to me like they the bike was heading Eastbound down the north-side sidewalk/sidepath and collided with a car that was coming off the ramp from eastbound Washington Blvd. Couldn't tell what lane the car had been in so not sure if it was a "bike had the walk signal but car turned right on red into them" or "bike disregarded the signal and was hit by a car" or what.

Again, no idea what lane of that three lane ramp the car was in nor do I know if they were trying to go straight, left or right.

Post Thanks / Like

I came by there by car about 9:00am, perhaps a couple of minutes after this happened. Bike propped up off the side, rider on the deck, helmet still on, being tended to, smashed windshield on the SUV. Location of mishap matches the map above, in the crosswalk.

Regardless of what direction the rider was going, even if you have the light and the walk signal, you just HOPE a vehicle on the off ramp sees you...

More detail- the rider appeared to be conscious, and had his head propped up. No rescue response just yet.
    Last edited by Starduster; 12-21-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have an update on this mishap, and the rider's condition?

Post Thanks / Like

John Harpold of Papillon Cycles speaks his mind: https://www.arlnow.com/2018/01/04/lo...columbia-pike/