Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: FS Newbies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2U View Post
    Bar Mitts to keep your fingers frostbite-free, ditto for your face with a ski mask, fatter tires (with a tread) to keep the bike upright on snow, and an ice pick to keep your brake calibers working and your wheels rolling!

Looking good Boomer. I'm trying studded 40mm tires this year. Last year my wider 44mm did not perform well in any form of white wintry precipitation (as rare as it was). Snow and ice stays on the trails for days longer than anywhere else. Muy biggest issue riding in cold weather is the eyes. They tend to water and hurt below 20F. Googles tend to fog no matter what kind of anti-fogging solution I try. I do have googles with a battery operated fan that helps with the fogging, but they are quite silly looking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winter Outfit.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	15966

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2U View Post
    fatter tires (with a tread) to keep the bike upright on snow
    I actually have tire chains for my bike. No, I don't have tire chains for my car. But I don't lose Freezing Saddles points if I miss a day with my car. Perspective, folks!

3. Likes Boomer2U, jrenaut, Sunyata, Steve O, Bob James and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

12F this morning so a good test for all the newbies!

5. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So some folks have talked about tires and here are some general points:

- Wider and softer is generally more grippy in cold weather conditions, but note if your tires are "underinflated" and not tubeless you will be more prone to flats
    - Wider is nice and wider allows you to generally run a lower pressure, but not all road bike frames will take a wider tire. For example a few winters ago I bought some 700x28 tires for my carbon road bike which rolled fine on the maintenance stand, but in certain conditions under the weight of a rider were actually rubbing up against the side of my frame and damaging it, so now even though I'd like to roll 700x28 in the winter 700x26 is with widest tire my frame will accept. The norm used to be 700x18 for road bikes so a lot of older road bikes just won't take a wider softer tire for the winter.
    - If you can't fit a wider winter tire, look for a set of tires with winter specific rubber. Different types of rubber behave differently in near freezing or below freezing temperatures so especially if you are rolling wide and soft look for something winter specific.
    - In the winter it's more important than ever to think about fenders/mud guards and to really wipe down your bike after each ride. Salt can do a lot of damage to all types of bikes. It's a bit OCD but I tend to first wipe the salt off with a dry cloth, then a clean damp cloth, then if I have time, another clean dry cloth. A wet cloth when your bike is still salty might help the salt get places it wouldn't have been able to get otherwise. (it goes without saying my bikes all live in doors).

7. Likes Boomer2U, Shawnbeast liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

To supplement the cold-weather gear discussion here, if you are not following the warm tights discussion thread, I posted something there specific to men only that may be useful.