Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: FS Newbies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnbeast View Post
    Some of us lowly novices have never taken to our steeds in sub-freezing weather. Do those of you veterans have any advice to help us keep our toes intact and our bikes upright?

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
    Saving toes- my cheap-o solution that really works for adding protection from the wind for my toes is to put baggies over the front of my feet before putting them in my shoes. It's really a noticeable difference. Some may scoff at the idea - Ziploc is maybe expensive - but if I insert my toes carefully, I can get at least a week's worth of rides into one pair. I also tend to wear two layers of socks sometimes - a thinner wool layer next to my foot and then something slightly fluffier as the second layer. You just have to make sure that your boots/shoes are a little roomier than normal.

See you out there!

2. Likes Edelweiss, Shawnbeast liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mtansill View Post
    Saving toes- my cheap-o solution that really works for adding protection from the wind for my toes is to put baggies over the front of my feet before putting them in my shoes. It's really a noticeable difference. Some may scoff at the idea - Ziploc is maybe expensive -
    The bags the newspaper comes in works well for this. You can either pull it all the way up to your calf, or cut them off to only cover your foot. When I use this strategy, I put the bag between my two pairs of socks: sock-bag-sock-shoe

4. Likes Nadine, Mtansill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My two cents

So a lot has been covered, here are my most novel pieces of advice on this topic, a winter beard goes a long way, always ride with eye protection even at night, glove liners can go a long way if another pair of gloves isn't quite warm enough, if you are riding more than a short distance chemical warmers (plastic bags stuck in your shoes) will do bad things to your feet. Also in addition to/instead of shoe covers/overshoes/designated winter bike shoes like Specialized Defrosters, Sealskinz water proof socks maybe over a thin wool sock (if it's really cold) are awesome when it's cold and wet out.

6. Likes kwarkentien, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkinDC View Post
    a winter beard goes a long way
    Yeah, but I've been trying to grow one since 1953, and it hasn't worked yet.

Post Thanks / Like

a winter beard goes a long way,
    I do notice quite a difference between when I have a mountain man beard versus a Brett Favre in his prime beard.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ear Warmers from Beer Kooshies

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	15944

Frozen ears are a thing of the past with this one awesome hack! Use two spare beer can insulators, just slide them over your helmet straps for a winter weather-beating upcycled riding hack! Turn them inside out if you want a modest non-advertising look. Easy to slide off if you actually get too warm. (Inconcievable for me at the moment as it is -5 in eastern Wisconsin right now!). e

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I do notice quite a difference between when I have a mountain man beard versus a Brett Favre in his prime beard.
    I'm guessing it's because Brett Favre didn't have giant snot-cicles hanging off his face when he approached non-cyclists after a cold ride into work.

11. Likes kwarkentien, Steve O, Edelweiss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    I'm guessing it's because Brett Favre didn't have giant snot-cicles hanging off his face when he approached non-cyclists after a cold ride into work.
    If you are getting snot-cicles then I think you need to work on your technique

13. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are getting snot-cicles then I think you need to work on your technique
    Snot beard is inevitable in the winter.

15. Likes kwarkentien, Harry Meatmotor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Winter riding boots

...designated winter bike shoes like Specialized Defrosters...
    And a few others... +1 for tolerable riding for anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours for my 10 digits that were nipped by frostbite about 15 years ago. Going with lightweight wool socks is the key in this arrangement, the thick ones make you sweat too much and then you have wet feet.