Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Check those bike parking racks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Check those bike parking racks

Today as I rolled up to one of my grocery store's nice, new, beefy bike parking racks, I noticed that one of the nuts holding it down was a quarter inch above the base. Sure enough, I could fully remove not just it but also every other nut easily with my bare hand. I informed an employee, so hopefully management will both tighten the nuts down and take extra steps to prevent removal with wrenches, but for now those racks are not up to snuff.

Just another reminder that you should always examine the rack before trusting it!

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    Today as I rolled up to one of my grocery store's nice, new, beefy bike parking racks, I noticed that one of the nuts holding it down was a quarter inch above the base. Sure enough, I could fully remove not just it but also every other nut easily with my bare hand. I informed an employee, so hopefully management will both tighten the nuts down and take extra steps to prevent removal with wrenches, but for now those racks are not up to snuff.

Just another reminder that you should always examine the rack before trusting it!
    This is what's called a "sucker pole". You should always give anything that you're locking your bike to a shake and a lift to make sure that it's actually secured to the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    This is what's called a "sucker pole". You should always give anything that you're locking your bike to a shake and a lift to make sure that it's actually secured to the ground.
    My daughter LOVES testing the secureness of bike racks before we park. One of her favorite jobs.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk