Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  6
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DC to NYC via Amtrak?

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in the 80's I took my bike on Amtrak from Wisconsin Dells to Red Wing, MN. I popped off the front wheel and told them to measure it. It fit the dimensions of carry-on baggage. Since it was about 11 at night and I getting off in a few hours, the conductor just said "Screw it," and stuck it in the area between cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hencio View Post
    NYC has a bike share that is supposed to launch summer 2012. Perhaps then it will be possible.
    it also is possible to rent bikes in nyc. we rented from bike and roll for the 5 boro ride in may. the bikes were new and worked great. they have cruisers, comfort, performance, race, tandem, and kids bikes.
    /bs

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RESTONTODC View Post
    The NY Bolt Bus or Chinatown bus will let you take the bike for free. I see a lot of people bring their to NY for weekend ride.

https://www.boltbus.com/faq.aspx
    This is the bit about bikes on board:

Can I take a bicycle or golf bag?

We do allow them and consider them to be oversize items as long as space is available in the baggage area. The oversize item will count as your one bag allowed under the coach. You’ll be responsible for placing the item in the baggage bin. We will not charge you an additional fee for oversized item provided it is within your limit of one bag under the coach. BOLTBUS is not responsible for damage to oversize items or items that are not placed in normal luggage or a carrying case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
    3am train historically is a mail train and allows checked baggage.
    There is no baggage car. Its a normal Northeast Regional train. It just happens to be pretty empty since most normal people are asleep. Not mail and no bikes or other unreasonable luggage is allowed. Its quite unlikely that you'll get your bike passed the gate agent, the police officer, and the conductors.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RESTONTODC View Post
    The NY Bolt Bus or Chinatown bus will let you take the bike for free. I see a lot of people bring their to NY for weekend ride.https://www.boltbus.com/faq.aspx
    I've heard folks recommend that you lock your bike to one of the pillars in the cargo hold to keep it from getting banged around too much.

Post Thanks / Like

This Bikes on Transit page from Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia site might be helpful.

http://www.bicyclecoalition.org/reso...kes+on+transit

Also, here is a story about bike-friendly bolt bus from a Philadelphia Cycling Examiner.

http://www.examiner.com/bicycle-tran...mental-charity
    Last edited by RESTONTODC; 10-06-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's policies like Amtrak's that scream "FOLDING BIKE".

Post Thanks / Like

Amtrak is exactly the reason why I've kept a folding bike in my stable for the past few years.

Back in 2006/2007, a bike commuter on the Keystone Line in Pennsylvania named Dave worked very hard to get clarification on Amtrak's folding bike policy. (BCGP used to link to a version of the text, but the link seems to be broken). His hard work paid off when Amtrak changed the wording in their conductors' handbook spelling out that folding/collapsible bike were allowed on all trains at all times. I used to carry a copy of the updated handbook text in my wallet in case I ever got any guff but most of the NEC conductors don't even bat an eye at folding bikes anymore. Thanks, Dave!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MCL1981 View Post
    There is no baggage car. Its a normal Northeast Regional train. It just happens to be pretty empty since most normal people are asleep. Not mail and no bikes or other unreasonable luggage is allowed. Its quite unlikely that you'll get your bike passed the gate agent, the police officer, and the conductors.
    Yeah, dating myself here since I used to ride it all the time.

Looks like they killed it years back. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Mail_(Amtrak)

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Old thread. Any updates? Has anyone done this. I take it the gig is
    * The bicycle must be in a box
    * The bicycle must be checked (which means only stations with baggage service)

Anyone done it and can report on whether this is such a grand thing?

http://www.amtrak.com/bring-your-bicycle-onboard