Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  6
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DC to NYC via Amtrak?

Post Thanks / Like

Default DC to NYC via Amtrak?

Travelling to NYC potentially for the day via Amtrak. Since I regularly bike to work, I figure biking to Union Station, taking the train to Penn Station, then biking to our NY office seems like a super efficient thing to do. Wondering if anyone here knows what the rules are for bikes on Amtrak?

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Hencio - this link may help you out. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Antos View Post
    Hencio - this link may help you out. Good luck!
    Thanks for the link. I didn't see the Northeast line of the list, so I'll have to call. Based on what I've already read, bike on the Acela is out.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always wanted to take the train up to NYC for the day with my bike, but didn't know if they'd allow it. Seems to me that they should, especially on weekends or non-peak hours. Maybe charge an extra fee would seem fair, since bikes do take up space. And ask people with bikes to load in particular locations and wait for others to offload would seem fair.

Lots of people bring tons of luggage on the trains, and there's usually plenty of room for it up in the front or back of each car where they have the wheelchair space.

Lots of bikes on the trains in Italy on weekends, so it has to be possible to figure this out.

Post Thanks / Like

The NY Bolt Bus or Chinatown bus will let you take the bike for free. I see a lot of people bring their to NY for weekend ride.

https://www.boltbus.com/faq.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

in this washington post article (from october 2008), the author describes his day trip from bethesda to nyc (by bus) for a day of riding his bicycle in manhattan. (he was 78 years old.)
    /bs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RESTONTODC View Post
    The NY Bolt Bus or Chinatown bus will let you take the bike for free. I see a lot of people bring their to NY for weekend ride.

https://www.boltbus.com/faq.aspx
    That settles it -- I'm taking Bolt. They have departures from Greenbelt metro parking lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I take Amtrak from WDC to CT (passed NYC) frequently. I have never seen anyone even try to take a bike. And can't think of a single place on any of the cars where you could reasonably stow a bike. Anywhere it would fit would be cumbersome and blockade everyone else. I don't believe it is practical. Maybe the 3am train since it is empty. But any normal daytime (including weekends) train, forget it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MCL1981 View Post
    Maybe the 3am train since it is empty. But any normal daytime (including weekends) train, forget it.
    3am train historically is a mail train and allows checked baggage.

Post Thanks / Like

I called Amtrak. The Northeast line is all carry on, so bikes would not be possible. NYC has a bike share that is supposed to launch summer 2012. Perhaps then it will be possible.