Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  3
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do I need to know about wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

I had to replace my wheels last year, the rims had run their course like yours. I went decidedly in the heavy duty camp. Kind of the opposite of the wheels Honz would be interested in Good build quality. I am not the lightest guy and carry a ton of shonky with me to work. Had to tighten up the rear wheel after a couple hundred miles, which is to be expected.

http://www.treefortbikes.com/product...-Value-XL.html

The cup and cone bearings on the cheaper shimano hubs are not silky smooth like cartridge bearings. But they are easy to service and last a long long time like Mr. Meatmotor says.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    Here is a wheel set from Nashbar for $125* if you are willing to wait till 12/29:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...0052_603921_-1

I have an older model of those wheels on my backup commuter bike. I need the 36 spokes... They are good wheels but have a narrow-ish rim. I like the tire profile of 35c tires on a wide rim. I think I have 32c tires on those and they are about as big as I would go.

I even shifted into the wheel once, in a fit of exhaustion induced clumsiness. Wheel still got me home, but I had to replace 5 or 6 spokes and true everything back up.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    You do crack me up. For under $300 you can get hand-built wheels from Universal Cycles with Tiagra/Deore hubs, double butted DT spokes, and the ever popular and durable Velocity Dyad rims. Switch to the classic Sun CR-18 and straight gauge spokes and it's under $200. I've been riding XT/Salsa Delgado Cross from them and have been very pleased - round, even, true, no touch ups needed, and they even lined up the label with the valve hole per what must be a Velominati rule. But then I don't break stuff anywhere near as often as you.
    I'll concede that when I said "decent" I had something better in mind. But, yes, to be fair a Shimano hub + Dyad wheelset with double-butted spokes should last a long time, assuming that it's a good build and you do whatever maintenance Shimano says you have to do for their hubs. It'll be heavy, but Jon said he'd prefer that side of the triangle.

I wouldn't think anything with straight-gauge spokes would be considered decent. (Or any of the budget Nashbar wheelsets.)

If you get wheels built by a reputable local builder, you'll obviously pay more. Low-end November wheels are over $500. The Hunt gravel wheelset sounds like a solid value at ~$460.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I may take you up on that, thank you
    Just let me know. Iím available Sunday if you want to pick them up, but Saturday is not an option, unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    If you get wheels built by a reputable local builder, you'll obviously pay more. Low-end November wheels are over $500. The Hunt gravel wheelset sounds like a solid value at ~$460.
    Do you know anyone rocking Hunt? As far as I can tell they seem to use Novatec hubs and maybe the same OEM as Pacenti for some of the rims? I've been curious about some of their gravel wheel builds.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birru View Post
    Do you know anyone rocking Hunt? As far as I can tell they seem to use Novatec hubs and maybe the same OEM as Pacenti for some of the rims? I've been curious about some of their gravel wheel builds.
    I don't, no. I've read a few reviews and the specs look good. They do look like Novatec hubs, yeah.

Post Thanks / Like

You do crack me up. For under $300 you can get hand-built wheels from Universal Cycles with Tiagra/Deore hubs, double butted DT spokes, and the ever popular and durable Velocity Dyad rims. Switch to the classic Sun CR-18 and straight gauge spokes and it's under $200. I've been riding XT/Salsa Delgado Cross from them and have been very pleased - round, even, true, no touch ups needed, and they even lined up the label with the valve hole per what must be a Velominati rule. But then I don't break stuff anywhere near as often as you.
    Just a sidebar, but most of the wheelsets on Universal Cycles like the few you mentioned are actually Quality Wheelhouse builds. IOW, they're available from any shop that uses QBP as a distributor.

and for anyone interested in more detail, several years ago, QBP started having issues spec-ing competitively priced nicer wheelsets on their house-brand bike builds (Surly, Salsa, etc). They did a small amount of hand-built wheelsets, but not enough volume to supply wheelsets on their bikes. So, they set up a state-side wheel building operation for spec on their brand builds; machine laced but human tensioned and trued. So, almost any wheelset you see on a QBP brand bike build is available through Quality Wheelhouse ("hand built") or QBP ("machine built") as a stand alone wheelset/wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

and they even lined up the label with the valve hole per what must be a Velominati rule.
    That's Rule #40, and it's a nice look, but now I break that rule and line the valve up with the inflation recs. I got tired of searching for the inflation pressures on various tires, and if I know it's right on top of the valve, I know where to look.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    ... but now I break that rule and line the valve up with the inflation recs. I got tired of searching for the inflation pressures on various tires, and if I know it's right on top of the valve, I know where to look.
    That's...actually a pretty darn good idea....

Post Thanks / Like

who cares what the sidewall inflation pressure says? it's too high