Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do I need to know about wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    who cares what the sidewall inflation pressure says? it's too high
    I suppose that if we start having a conversation on preferred tire inflation, at least we aren't discussing eBikes or arcane rule changes to a friendly winter riding competitionish. Would be a serious hijack though.

To unhijack, I'd like to say that giving someone your old wheels is a pretty awesome thing to do.

2. Likes ShawnoftheDread liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    Just a sidebar, but most of the wheelsets on Universal Cycles like the few you mentioned are actually Quality Wheelhouse builds. IOW, they're available from any shop that uses QBP as a distributor.

and for anyone interested in more detail, several years ago, QBP started having issues spec-ing competitively priced nicer wheelsets on their house-brand bike builds (Surly, Salsa, etc). They did a small amount of hand-built wheelsets, but not enough volume to supply wheelsets on their bikes. So, they set up a state-side wheel building operation for spec on their brand builds; machine laced but human tensioned and trued. So, almost any wheelset you see on a QBP brand bike build is available through Quality Wheelhouse ("hand built") or QBP ("machine built") as a stand alone wheelset/wheel.
    This is interesting. I assume this does *not* include Formula-hub wheelsets, then?

If it does include the Formula-hub wheelsets, then I would not consider those decently build wheels based on my 1 datapoint where spokes were not evenly tensioned [and one broke after a couple weeks of use] on OE Warbird wheels. (But the components were great so I just rebuilt the wheel.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    This is interesting. I assume this does *not* include Formula-hub wheelsets, then?

If it does include the Formula-hub wheelsets, then I would not consider those decently build wheels based on my 1 datapoint where spokes were not evenly tensioned [and one broke after a couple weeks of use] on OE Warbird wheels. (But the components were great so I just rebuilt the wheel.)
    Hard to say if those were "hand built" - the only Quality wheels with Formula hubs showing now are fat bike/Other Brother Daryl builds. What rims did they use?

Edit: should also clarify, this statement:

"So, almost any wheelset you see on a QBP brand bike build is available through Quality Wheelhouse ("hand built") or QBP ("machine built") as a stand alone wheelset/wheel."

...almost any wheelset that's not a "pre-built" from an OEM supplier, i.e., if Salsa started putting a Mavic pre-built wheelset on their bikes, those wouldn't be available as Quality Wheelhouse brand wheels.
    Last edited by Harry Meatmotor; 12-06-2017 at 01:57 PM. Reason: more cowbell

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to say if those were "hand built" - the only Quality wheels with Formula hubs showing now are fat bike/Other Brother Daryl builds. What rims did they use?

Edit: should also clarify, this statement:

"So, almost any wheelset you see on a QBP brand bike build is available through Quality Wheelhouse ("hand built") or QBP ("machine built") as a stand alone wheelset/wheel."

...almost any wheelset that's not a "pre-built" from an OEM supplier, i.e., if Salsa started putting a Mavic pre-built wheelset on their bikes, those wouldn't be available as Quality Wheelhouse brand wheels.
    Makes sense. These were laced to DT R460db rims with double-butted spokes, so they weren't a super budget wheelset. Hubs were branded "Salsa", but I'm 99% sure they're Formula hubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a sidebar, but most of the wheelsets on Universal Cycles like the few you mentioned are actually Quality Wheelhouse builds. IOW, they're available from any shop that uses QBP as a distributor.
    No, I was using their custom wheelset builder to spec from scratch, as I did years ago for my own set. Those wheels are hand built by Universal staff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Makes sense. These were laced to DT R460db rims with double-butted spokes, so they weren't a super budget wheelset. Hubs were branded "Salsa", but I'm 99% sure they're Formula hubs.
    Then those likely were "hand built".