Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: December 2017 Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Default December 2017 Road and Trail Conditions

Be aware, the leaf layer on the Corkscrew O' Death has achieved peak slimyness. Exercise due caution.

2. Likes Starduster, Henry, Steve O liked this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Multiple construction detours on today's route (along the Main, not in the DMV). I'm not sure what the point of the barriers was along this stretch of the cyclepath/sidewalk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00823.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	15832

Post Thanks / Like

Default W&OD/Four Mile Run Trail Work - Soil borings near Sparrow Pond - 12/14 - 12/22

W&OD Trail Work - Soil borings near Sparrow Pond
    From my inbox:
    "Between 12/26 through 1/5, a contractor for DES will be doing some soil borings near the Sparrows Pond stormwater facility. There will be a trail detour in effect while they are doing the soil borings. Because there are two parallel trails there, the detour should not be a major inconvenience for users."

Looks like W&OD will be closed at times, which will route trail users onto the Four Mile Run Trail. At different times, it looks like the Four Mile Run Trail will be closed, which will route trail users onto the W&OD.
    W&OD Detour:

Name:	Trailwork.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	15849

PDFs of both Planned Trail Detours
    MOT_Exhibit1-WOD_v3.pdf
    MOT_Exhibit2-FMR_v3.pdf
    Last edited by Erin Potter; Today at 02:25 PM. Reason: I was updated with different dates

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    W&OD Trail Work - Soil borings near Sparrow Pond
    From my inbox:
    "... Because there are two parallel trails there, the detour should not be a major inconvenience for users."

Looks like W&OD will be closed at times, which will route trail users onto the Four Mile Run Trail. At different times, it looks like the Four Mile Run Trail will be closed, which will route trail users onto the W&OD.
    W&OD Detour:

Name:	Trailwork.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	15849

PDFs of both Planned Trail Detours
    MOT_Exhibit1-WOD_v3.pdf
    MOT_Exhibit2-FMR_v3.pdf
    Unless of course there is a heavy rainfall in which case the 4MRT stream crossings on the detour may be flooded. YMMV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Multiple construction detours on today's route (along the Main, not in the DMV). I'm not sure what the point of the barriers was along this stretch of the cyclepath/sidewalk.

Name:	DSC00823.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	15832
    Repaving that section?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    Repaving that section?
    Yeah, but what does that have to do with the sidewalk. Just a bit of overkill.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Yeah, but what does that have to do with the sidewalk. Just a bit of overkill.
    to keep people from wandering into the construction zone. here, they'd have just closed the entire sidewalk and had you detour through "not my problem".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    to keep people from wandering into the construction zone. here, they'd have just closed the entire sidewalk and had you detour through "not my problem".
    Oh, I get that, but that has not been what they've been doing with other similar construction project here, just wondering why this section. I'm actually surprised they didn't detour the cyclepath/sidewalk traffic to the other side of the street. About halfway through the construction zone worker were using a chain saw to cut up a couple of tree.
    They were nice enough to pause and let me through. Another project on a two lane street close by did have the the street and sidewalk totally closed and I had to detour on a muddy forest trail. Out of my 100 mile route using almost exclusively designated cycle routes I hit six significant construction zones and it's December!
    Last edited by consularrider; 12-08-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

A little dicey tonight on my way home from work on the short segment of FMR I rode from Shirlington under 395 over to West Glebe. Roads were all good everywhere, but there was a thin layer of ice on the cement parts of the trail leading to and from the underpass. No doubt that Sunday's sun and 40 degrees temps will take care of it, but don't be caught unawares salt in the day on Sunday before it warms up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk

11. Likes Arlingtonrider, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't stop for pictures, but the wood bridges all through the Anacostia Tributary trails and at least one cement bridge on the ART are deceptively treacherous. I usually attack snow covered bridges at speed. Counting yesterday's coffee ride and this morning's commute, my I think my success rate since this last storm is about 13 out of 14.