Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Washington Blvd pushback

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Despite our differences in opinion on the Washington Blvd Bike Lanes, I think we can all agree that it's a pretty big tragedy that none of you have invited me to ride my bike over to Westover to have a beer with you.
    I too think the biggest issue is the lack of publicized gatherings at Westover. Grab a slice at the Italian Store, then head to the Beer Garden!

2. Likes Judd, accordioneur liked this post
    DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    I think you've misrepresented the process, particularly the impact of the bike lobby (bold added above). Having a bike lane here is called for in the current bike element and in the neighborhood's own planning docs (in fact, the neighborhood's own planning process added this bike lane to the bike element). When staff goes to figure out what changes to make when there's an opportunity like restriping, they start at those planning documents. In other words, a bike lane was planned here not because of the bike lobby, but because of neighborhood planning efforts. In the end, the church ended up with more parking spaces, at the expense of the people who use public buses and the safety of people on bikes. As a Christian, I was disappointed that the church was not more sympathetic to the needs and safety of the vulnerable. As someone who was involved in the process, I was disappointed in the lack of effort put in to finding other solutions -- e.g. creating new parking on other streets, encouraging the able bodied to leave close in spots for the "geezers", etc.
    You are simply wrong. The church ended up with exactly the same number of spots as before this whole thing started. The basic problem was that when designing the initial plan, no one made both the observation that putting in the bike lanes and bus stop would effectively cut the on-street parking by one half and the conclusion that perhaps it would be a good idea to directly inform the church that this would be the effect of the initial plan and give it some input early in the process. Sure, it was "public knowledge" that Washington Blvd would be restriped, but it was unclear what this really meant.

The church ended up with more parking spaces only relative to the initial plan not relative to before, yet this disinformation remains. Removal of the diagonal spaces to make room for a bus stop is nonsensical -- the diagonal spaces are only used on Sunday and Metro data said that the bus stop was only used by 1 person per day. The supposed lack of effort in finding other solutions is a strawman--you can't create more parking on other streets because the other streets already have no parking restrictions and the neighbors are already complaining. Able-bodied members are already encouraged to park farther away to make room in front of the church for the elderly.

If you remember that meeting a Reed School, you will note that people from the neighborhood were almost unanimously opposed to the initial plan with bike lanes on both sides of the street. The people who supported the full bike lanes were bicyclists from other parts of Arlington, most of whom rarely ride on Washington Blvd. As far as I can tell, the person that rode most frequently on Washington Blvd at the meeting was me. My impression of the meeting seemed to be that bicycle advocates were forcing something on the neighborhood that the neighborhood did not want.

The revised plan called for eastbound bicycle traffic to use Quantico and 18th Street. Chris asked whether anyone had done a study of these streets and the answer was no. Chris then asked whether anyone had ridden these streets to see if they were sufficiently safe. Of course, I was the only one who raised my hand and if you had actually wanted me to answer I would have said they were perfectly fine. Also there was the question about whether the intersection of 18th and Ohio was safe. For an inexperienced rider, that intersection is safer than riding in (or out of) a bike lane on Washington Blvd. If you are worried about the vulnerable, I would suggest concentrating on a safe network of bike routes on neighborhood streets rather than putting bike lanes on arterial roads.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Despite our differences in opinion on the Washington Blvd Bike Lanes, I think we can all agree that it's a pretty big tragedy that none of you has invited me to ride my bike over to Westover to have a beer with you.
    Hey, Judd. Wanna get a beer sometime?

5. Likes Birru, Emm liked this post
    ELITE Judd ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Despite our differences in opinion on the Washington Blvd Bike Lanes, I think we can all agree that it's a pretty big tragedy that none of you have invited me to ride my bike over to Westover to have a beer with you.
    My bad, I thought you said "ride my bike over West to have a beer with you." I mean, I'm already there

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Hey, Judd. Wanna get a beer sometime?
    My God! FINALLY! And yes. We should drink beer in Westover.

Post Thanks / Like

Stay tuned... I think my goal of this Freezing Saddles is to go to a happy hour at least once a week. This week is Clare & Don's... Next week, though... Westover?!

9. Likes Birru, rcannon100, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Stay tuned... I think my goal of this Freezing Saddles is to go to a happy hour at least once a week. This week is Clare & Don's... Next week, though... Westover?!
    YES!

And this thread has been successfully hijacked to talk about beer, restoring balance to the universe.

11. ELITE Sunyata ELITED this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

That and Calvinball has morphed into a game where we give hard liquor to each other - like all true freezing cultures - FS has morphed into a chapter of AA!

13. Likes Emm, Steve O, Judd liked this post
    ELITE josh ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bonus points for EVERYONE if we can get ice cream at Tobys after...

15. Likes Sunyata, accordioneur, Birru liked this post
    ELITE Judd ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ground Hog Day happy hour at Westover Beer Garden!

17. Likes josh, sjclaeys, Judd liked this post