Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Rules and scoring thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    The best way to make freezing saddles more appealing is to dump individual stuff outside of pointless prizes and to focus on teams and making the team competition and experience better.
    In which case you're saying you'd rejoin?
    Last edited by musclys; 12-07-2017 at 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling is tough

2. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ....Hold up... no manual entries!

*Kitty, having managed to survive the Oct-December treadmill of holiday and professional obligations through triage and caffeine, now turns her attention to the next thing: BAFS. Over coffee she reviews the sticky and notices a rules change from past years. Sealing herself, she ventures into the thread she swore never to enter, the dreaded "Rules and scoring thread." Patiently, with an eye on the clock since she needs to gear up to ride to church, she goes through 11 pages of temporally crystallized early-December to come to this spot...

She grimaces and takes a sip of her coffee before holding up a finger that seems to speak for her 'Now hold on just a minute...'"**

Eleven pages. Eleven pages of bickering, and I didn't see a single thing about not accepting manual entries this year. Did I miss that somewhere in the applied calculus theory-crafting of pages 2-5?

Can I get a referee to explain this to me? I get trying to avoid cheating, but my phone (aka my "Magic Strava Machine") is reaching the end of its life and prone to dying in cold weather. (Say nothing of the times when Strava fails on a whim) This causes me to have to do a follow-up Strava post to log the missing miles. I wish I could just rely on an error-free upload but that's not the case.

4. Likes Bob James, ShawnoftheDread liked this post
    DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

To summarize this rule change: sometimes life just sucks.

6. Likes ShawnoftheDread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post

Can I get a referee to explain this to me? I get trying to avoid cheating, but my phone (aka my "Magic Strava Machine") is reaching the end of its life and prone to dying in cold weather. (Say nothing of the times when Strava fails on a whim) This causes me to have to do a follow-up Strava post to log the missing miles. I wish I could just rely on an error-free upload but that's not the case.
    TLDR version: Manual entries make a bunch of other leaderboards very difficult to implement because they lack elevation and geographic data.

This does present a challenge for folks using phones to Strava since cold weather kills batteries (even worse when combined with an old phone). The good news is that you'll still be allowed to upload a file to Strava, so if you have a fail on a regular commute, you can download a previous commute, edit the file to change the date/time and upload it. If it's a non-commute and you're riding with someone, Strava now allows riders to easily copy rides from other people within Strava. If you have a Strava fail this year, I can help you with doing either of these.

8. Likes Bob James liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Put the phone next to you on the inside of the insulation layers. Now if it gets too cold the phone is the least of your worries.

10. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    Eleven pages of bickering, and I didn't see a single thing about not accepting manual entries this year.
    1. We didn't accept manual entries last year, either.

2. See the sticky at the top of the forum? The one that says, "Freezing Saddles Important Information"? The one that is linked (twice!) right on the registration page, and again in the welcome e-mail that already went out? It says, "We no longer count manually entered rides."
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 12-31-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. As a data wonk, I understand how that would mess with things. If I run into issues, I'll hit you up Judd for some gpx-fu.

As for the rule itself, Somehow I missed it last year? The sticky straight-up reads: "Manual entries will also not be accepted. This is a change from previous years." Leading me to believe it was new this year. Without that clause it wouldn't have seemed like a new thing. (A "the sin is in semantics" situation)

13. Likes sjclaeys liked this post