Likes Likes:  229
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
ELITE ELITE:  12
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Rules and scoring thread

Post Thanks / Like

lordofthemark is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Setting aside any ideals or anything else with this (such as a potential tendency to either reward, or consciously not reward, people you already know on other teams): to me, this would make participating in the competition seem like a daily chore, and I'd opt out. (There's probably a reason or two that the Athenian system of direct democracy gave way to representative democracy.)

This is precisely what I thought about this 1. Its way too much of a burden to think about everyone's different activities each day and evaluate them 2. Its very likely to end up a popularity contest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Yeah, I think let's get the social stuff worked out on the backend and have new proposed scoring system(s) for next year implemented as an alternative leaderboard this year. We need to decide on officially 2019 BAFS scoring before registration opens. Probably at the end of March is when we should do that.

I do think we'll demote the individual leaderboards, though.
    I watched from the sidlines the first year and hopped on for the second. For me I like the basic clean formula of "Ride bike. Earn points". The rest is good fun with charts and graphs and groups and donuts but it sidecar and I think should be elective. The twentyseven 8X10 color glossy photorgraphs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one are fun and a good to have to enjoy if you want but... F.S. is at its core "Ride bike. Earn points"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    Ride bike. Earn points
    I just added this as a tagline to the front page of the website. You'll be able to see it next time we push a round of changes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    Out of all the discussions and suggestions in this thread and other related threads, this is by far the most ridiculous.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	putin.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	15816

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Yeah, I think let's get the social stuff worked out on the backend and have new proposed scoring system(s) for next year implemented as an alternative leaderboard this year. We need to decide on officially 2019 BAFS scoring before registration opens. Probably at the end of March is when we should do that.
    Excellent idea! Collecting the appropriate data will allow the community to assess the impacts of possible scoring changes. That way an informed decision can be made, rather than going with a last-minute, shoot-from-the-hip, bait-and-switch approach to evolving the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    This is precisely what I thought about this 1. Its way too much of a burden to think about everyone's different activities each day and evaluate them 2. Its very likely to end up a popularity contest.
    1 - Smart people can probably come up with a solution to this, like allow people to bank their points for (x) days and just assign every week or two. Not necessarily a bad thing asking people to look at the web site 2-3 times a month, since engaging people is one of the objectives.

2 - Maybe...maybe not. If that, in fact, reflects the cumulative preference of all the players, then isn't that the optimal outcome? Or do you have some special insight to a scoring system that would more optimally reflect the preferences of all the people playing the game?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    However, it seems that even the discussion of some of the more significant changes being proposed, particularly trying to score a social aspect, is driving people away. To me, that's a pretty big downside, and makes me think that any potential upside isn't worth it. Others may feel differently, of course. (And I'm sure others are wondering why it took so long for me to get to that spot.)
    OTOH, we know the current scoring system drove Subby away, and there may be others (like me) who find the same ol' system every year boooorrrringgg and would enjoy it a lot more if the game was changed up every year.

Even better, every week! Imagine if the last place team each week got to pick the scoring system (from some pre-determined list, say) for the following week. Now, THAT would be fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    OTOH, we know the current scoring system drove Subby away.
    My understanding is that any scoring system would have driven Subby away, because the problem was that he was getting too obsessive about winning.

Even better, every week! Imagine if the last place team each week got to pick the scoring system (from some pre-determined list, say) for the following week. Now, THAT would be fun!
    Yeah, I would definitely be out of here if that were the system. I deal with complicated rules that change frequently at work. I'm not about to do that for "fun."
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 12-04-2017 at 02:08 PM.

lordofthemark is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

1 - Smart people can probably come up with a solution to this, like allow people to bank their points for (x) days and just assign every week or two. Not necessarily a bad thing asking people to look at the web site 2-3 times a month, since engaging people is one of the objectives.

2 - Maybe...maybe not. If that, in fact, reflects the cumulative preference of all the players, then isn't that the optimal outcome? Or do you have some special insight to a scoring system that would more optimally reflect the preferences of all the people playing the game?

1. I want to engage on the forum. But I want it to be to push for infrastructure, or even (gasp!) to debate ebikes, or to ask for help with maintenance, or give advice on routes, not to review everybody's contributions to FS/TheCommunity.

2. Ah classic fallacy. The individual choice I make when the group choice is the accumulation of individual choices is NOT equivalent to what I would want the group choice to be. Dare I mention the "tragedy of the commons"? In this instance, if everyone is giving points based on popularity, I might as well, even though I would prefer that we all give points based on miles, or happy hours organized. Because my individual choice does not make it (or stop) a popularity contest, merely who wins that contest. But I may still prefer it not be a popularity contest. I love markets, and using markets to garner information, including on preferences, but I think this is one of those instances where "democracy" trumps markets.

How else do we discern the will of all though? Well of course we can't strictly, given how many participants are silent. In lieu of that, we combine the opinions of those willing to speak, and also examine how FS is doing in terms of gaining and losing members.