Likes Likes:  229
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
ELITE ELITE:  12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Rules and scoring thread

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested in this. In part because I've never been on a team with any shot at all of winning, and in part because i like mucking around with numbers. I want every year's FSLNHPP to be full of people on 3-4 different teams desperately cramming in last minute miles so we don't know which team is going to win until the last ride is uploaded.

Anyway, I'm still digging out from ignoring work while on vacation, but hopefully in the next few weeks I'll have some time to dedicate to this.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of modifying the rules so that more people can feel like they are contributing to their team's success without having to ride hundreds of miles per week. I like the idea of a smooth function so people don't have to get stressed when they miss their target tier because Strava recorded .2 miles less than Garmin/Wahoo reported. Calculus is helpful for this type of problem so I enlisted my husband to help because he does that sort of thing professionally. I started with a smooth function where points go from 1 to 0 as miles go from 0 to 100 which is y= -0.01x+1 the integral of this function, which gives you the area under the line for any value of x, is y = -0.005x^2 + x. There are many variations depending on whether you want to add a bonus at the first mile and whether you want the first mile to be bonus only or bonus + 1. The bonus can be used to change the relative weights of the early miles compared to the later miles. The attached image shows 3 variations. The % max column shows the percentage of total available miles for a ride that you get at each mile.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FS points.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	17261

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I would merely point out that calculus is not required to find the area under a straight line. All one needs is mere geometry.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a single function that will give you area for any point on x? I wanted something that is easy to program and fast to run. I was never good at geometry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NemaVeze View Post
    Genuine question: what statistical test do you use for that? I'm trying to up my quant methods game.
    Far from perfect. I run 10 sets of randomized teams and compare the highest and lowest scores. I don't look at internal distribution.
    This year ended with the 1st place team 74% higher than the last place team. I haven't run a randomized sample against the final standings, but I probably will at some point. 74% is a pretty big spread, so I'm guessing that random will beat it sometimes, but less than half.

It's this large spread (which is similar year to year) that have had some people propose adjusting the scoring system to make it tighter and hence more fun. This thread contains some ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we should make this more like ice skating or diving. Throw out the high and low scores and award style points.