Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rules and scoring thread

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aaronwelsh View Post
    I suspect that the high-milage riders are more interested in who rides the furthest, rather than who earn the most points. To that end, we should probably let individuals compete on pure mileage, while teams will compete on points. (Maybe that's already what we do?)
    You, or anyone, may offer a pointless prize for whoever rides the farthest. In the past, that has also been the person with the most points, but if we adjust the scoring system, that may no longer be the case.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a great discussion, and I really like these ideas.

To keep the creative juices flowing, try a simple exercise that's often used in various contexts to re-imagine an existing system:

Imagine you are creating a fun winter riding game that is intended to get people out on their bikes in weather they might otherwise not have ridden in, encourage people to create side games and fun activities, go on rides for beer or coffee or donuts, engage online (and in person) with their teammates, trash talk their opponents and all-in-all be part of a supportive and fun community of friends in a myriad of ways.

Create a scoring system for this game. Blank slate. Assume no technical constraints or pre-existing conditions.

3. Likes aaronwelsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    This is a great discussion, and I really like these ideas.

To keep the creative juices flowing, try a simple exercise that's often used in various contexts to re-imagine an existing system:

Imagine you are creating a fun winter riding game that is intended to get people out on their bikes in weather they might otherwise not have ridden in, encourage people to create side games and fun activities, go on rides for beer or coffee or donuts, engage online (and in person) with their teammates, trash talk their opponents and all-in-all be part of a supportive and fun community of friends in a myriad of ways.

Create a scoring system for this game. Blank slate. Assume no technical constraints or pre-existing conditions.
    Bonus points for people over age 55, more than 200lbs, on group rides with other FS participants, and for everyday riding. There, I win.

5. Likes Judd, Bob James, LhasaCM liked this post
    ELITE rcannon100 ELITED this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

[Obligatory suggestion of exactly the scoring system we have now]

7. ELITE Judd ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    [Obligatory suggestion of exactly the scoring system we have now]
    [Just so we have it, obligatory suggestion of the same scoring system as the National Bike Challenge]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

9. Likes Bob James, Judd, jrenaut liked this post
    americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Create a scoring system for this game.
    No points for anyone. Go ride your bike with people you like. Have a drink. Win.

11. Likes Sunyata, wheels&wings, Judd liked this post
    ELITE rcannon100 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    [Just so we have it, obligatory suggestion of the same scoring system as the National Bike Challenge]
    Which is the same as FS currently, except for 20 points (instead of 10) for the 1st mile ridden each day.

13. Likes Edelweiss, lordofthemark, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbelt View Post
    Bonus points for people over age 55, more than 200lbs, on group rides with other FS participants, and for everyday riding. There, I win.
    I don't know how much Bob James weighs, but he might still be the winner under this rule set.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Bob rode like 6,000 miles during Freezing Saddles last year while working full time. I'm pretty sure that there's no way that a progressive point tax system won't feel like a penalty.
    Team 15 was the only one close to Team 10 last year. I probably rode about 2,000 miles more than I would have done normally, just to try and keep some competition for Team 10 so Judd wouldn't get bored. Other's on Team 15
    also rode more because of the fun rivalry with Team 10. Of course, all our efforts were thwarted when Team 10's powerhouse 6-8 riders would do a century together whenever they wanted to put Team 10 in its place. That being said, equitable team assignment can play a critical part in individual rider motivation. Though competition does not necessarily have to be for 1st place. The 15th place team can be competing with the 14th place team, etc.

16. Likes wheels&wings, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I don't know how much Bob James weighs, but he might still be the winner under this rule set.
    I'm usually 195lbs, but I could keep myself over 200lbs with enough doughnut and pie rides during FS.

18. Likes Edelweiss, jrenaut, wheels&wings, Judd liked this post