Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: FS 2018 Pointless Prize Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Hmm, is anyone developing a prize for oohing and aahing at pics of puppies and toddlers? I have a puppy (well, she's 11, but she still thinks she's a puppy) and a toddler grandson I can supply.
    It's pointless. Bob Cannon can always out-puppy anyone.

2. Likes Sunyata, Bob James liked this post
    ELITE rcannon100 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Pointless Prize: Paul Revere Rider

FS#18 new pointless prize is for the most Midnight Rides, aka the most Paul Revere-like participant.

Specific parameters coming soon, but essentially for the sleeze rides done at or around midnight. Ride(s) must begin at or after 11:30pm. end by 11:59, and/or begin at midnight and end by 12:30 am. Likely bonus for a 2-for, doing a before and after midnight ride to get 2 days covered in one ride.
    Also, riders who commute home late (Carol, you know who you are) can not count the end of the ride unless they stop Strava and start it at or after 11:30, but the intent is to capture those who drag themselves out to get their first ride in before midnight, and those who, for whatever reason, do their sleeze ride at 12:01 to get the ride done for that day.

I am requesting the #FS18midnight

I think it is time to reward this uniquely Freezing Saddles riding behavior!
    Edelweiss
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. Likes CPTJohnC, Steve O, streetsmarts, CBGanimal liked this post
    ELITE Kitty ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Michigander "You call THAT a snow day?!" Prize, will be back for its much-anticipated 3rd season.

A 6 pack of Michigan-brewed beer imported from the Mitten State will go to whomever rides the most miles on OPM issued "Federal Closures" due to winter weather (aka govt' snow days). If like last year there are no snow days, the fall-back option is most miles on Michigan Day (Jan 26)

There might be some other fun stuff included as well, separate thread to follow.

6. Likes Edelweiss, Judd, bentbike33, Sunyata, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    The Michigander "You call THAT a snow day?!" Prize, will be back for its much-anticipated 3rd season.

A 6 pack of Michigan-brewed beer imported from the Mitten State will go to whomever rides the most miles on OPM issued "Federal Closures" due to winter weather (aka govt' snow days). If like last year there are no snow days, the fall-back option is most miles on Michigan Day (Jan 26)

There might be some other fun stuff included as well, separate thread to follow.
    For your archnemesis, add a stipulation that Hains Point miles don't count

8. Likes Kitty, LhasaCM, Emm liked this post
    Dislikes Judd disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OPM issued "Federal Closures" due to winter weather (aka govt' snow days).
    These almost never happen any more even with substantial snowfall since the vast majority of federal workers can telework. You should consider changing the rule to "days designated for unscheduled leave or unscheduled telework". This is how most "Snow Days" go down now.

Unless, of course, you just want a very high probability of recognizing Michigan Day.

10. Likes CPTJohnC, CBGanimal, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    For your archnemesis, add a stipulation that Hains Point miles don't count
    Joke's on him! If he wins, he receives Michigan beer.

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    These almost never happen any more even with substantial snowfall since the vast majority of federal workers can telework. You should consider changing the rule to "days designated for unscheduled leave or unscheduled telework". This is how most "Snow Days" go down now.

Unless, of course, you just want a very high probability of recognizing Michigan Day.
    Our office uses OPM as the source for whether we close for snow (we're not Feds) so it represents a fair yardstick. Besides, it is precisely because of the severity of the event that results in the full closure that makes this a challenge. Open but telework days are pretty lame as far as weather events go.

All that said, I appreciate the insight. If we go a second year in a row with no snow-days, I'll reconsider.

12. Likes Steve O, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In other news, I have another Pointless Prize I'd like to do. Announcing the "Taste the Rainbow" prize! This will go to those who ride on each of the 6 bikeshare bikes in a single ride (documented by photos).

Formal rules to follow. Plus I might make this a time-sensitive one limited to the week of St. Patrick's Day...

14. Likes Steve O, jrenaut, Emm, rcannon100 liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    It's pointless. Bob Cannon can always out-puppy anyone.
    Did I mention that we are volunteering at the Lost Dog Rescue pop up shelter in Seven Corners? And we need volunteers to help walk and play with the dogs. Pretty much any day like between 3 and 6. We are closing (locking it up for the evening, turning off the lights) the shelter this Sunday if you wanna come then (well actually..... you cant.... because you and I will be at the BikenetiCX race!!! (which doesnt allow dogs - I know, right?)

This is Darby. Darby is part horse! A big dumb lovable dog at the 7C pop up.

Last edited by rcannon100; 12-06-2017 at 11:04 AM.

16. Likes Judd, musclys, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In other news, I have another Pointless Prize I'd like to do. Announcing the "Taste the Rainbow" prize! This will go to those who ride on each of the 6 bikeshare bikes in a single ride (documented by photos).

Formal rules to follow. Plus I might make this a time-sensitive one limited to the week of St. Patrick's Day...
    Love this one, Kitty! I'm imagining boxes of Lucky Charms as prizes.

Post Thanks / Like

So there is something on the line other than pride (and assuming nobody else was interested): I'd like to sponsor one or more #kidical prizes. Definitely the usual mileage one; I have a few other ideas percolating (and may steal someone else's ideas to apply here). Prize details TBD.

Traditional rules apply: #kidical rides are those where one or more children are somehow attached to your bike and pulled along. Could be a trailer, cargo bike, trailer cycle, child seat, etc.

Since the question came up elsewhere: For this prize, rides involving duct taping a child to the handlebars count only where explicitly permissible by law.
    Last edited by LhasaCM; 12-06-2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: removed stupid mobile signature

19. Likes jrenaut liked this post