Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FS 2018 Pointless Prize Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    Thus, I bring you the "Drink the Swamp" Coffee Challenge. Yes, it involves that blessed combination of coffee and cycling. But, the only coffee that counts is from the following run-of-the-mill sources: McDonald's, 7-11, Dunkin' Donuts, and WaWa.
    Others may be up to that challenge, but my love of cycling only goes so far.

2. Likes kwarkentien, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a coffee challenge in mind similar to Chuxtr's ... but, it's a little different. My concern is that while we pay lip service to cycling being for everyone, our behavior is far more elitist - be it the need to ride bicycles that cost a month's middle-class salary in order to fit in, kit that ranges into the thousands of dollars, and of course, the requirement that any coffee consumed as part of a challenge be kopi luwak pre-digested by free range, Harvard-educated civets. Where I come from, the bikes are superstore Magnas and Huffys and they're ridden because they're the cheapest way to get to work, not to provide an opportunity to show off anyone's latest purchases from the Rapha pop-up store.

Thus, I bring you the "Drink the Swamp" Coffee Challenge. Yes, it involves that blessed combination of coffee and cycling. But, the only coffee that counts is from the following run-of-the-mill sources: McDonald's, 7-11, Dunkin' Donuts, and WaWa. There will be extra points for multiple stops per ride and perhaps other details (to be spelled out in a follow-on post), and photo documentation will be required.
    , the requirement that any coffee consumed as part of a challenge be kopi luwak pre-digested by free range, Harvard-educated civets.

so perfect! ! go swamp coffee!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4. Likes kwarkentien, Steve O liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a coffee challenge in mind similar to Chuxtr's ... but, it's a little different. My concern is that while we pay lip service to cycling being for everyone, our behavior is far more elitist - be it the need to ride bicycles that cost a month's middle-class salary in order to fit in, kit that ranges into the thousands of dollars, and of course, the requirement that any coffee consumed as part of a challenge be kopi luwak pre-digested by free range, Harvard-educated civets. Where I come from, the bikes are superstore Magnas and Huffys and they're ridden because they're the cheapest way to get to work, not to provide an opportunity to show off anyone's latest purchases from the Rapha pop-up store.

Thus, I bring you the "Drink the Swamp" Coffee Challenge. Yes, it involves that blessed combination of coffee and cycling. But, the only coffee that counts is from the following run-of-the-mill sources: McDonald's, 7-11, Dunkin' Donuts, and WaWa. There will be extra points for multiple stops per ride and perhaps other details (to be spelled out in a follow-on post), and photo documentation will be required.

Dude. I won last year's coffeecatting challenge. With posts like this

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...317#post156317

and this

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...500#post152500

and of course this:

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...866#post155866

A wawa vs dunkin donuts competition could be cool - but just wanted to clarify.

6. Likes kwarkentien, Steve O liked this post
    ELITE ginacico ELITED this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

What would make this better would be if the coffee had to be purchased by biking through the drive through.

8. Likes chuxtr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Beerneuring already requires different beer places. And really, isn't visiting multiple Gordon Biersch outlets punishment enough in itself?
    Not as punishing as going to Hops.

10. ELITE Sunyata ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Beerneuring already requires different beer places. And really, isn't visiting multiple Gordon Biersch outlets punishment enough in itself?
    Let's look at the facts. Each Gordon Biersch location has its own brewer who has the ability to experiment and make beer unique to that location. For instance, the Gordon Biersch location in Rockville has a pretty impressive sour beer program going on. That is why individual Gordon Biersch locations have won Great American Beer Festival medals, sometimes for beers only available to one or a few locations. So, as the Beerneuring Brewmaster, I hereby decree that each location does continue to count. The simple rules are: 1) if the beer is made there; and 2) that beer is drank there, then it counts.

12. Likes Sunyata, huskerdont, Steve O, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Not as punishing as going to Hops.
    I had to give up a Port City growler for a Hops growler this weekend because of a mix up at the growler fill station. It still stings.

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    So, as the Beerneuring Brewmaster, I hereby decree that each location does continue to count. The simple rules are: 1) if the beer is made there; and 2) that beer is drank there, then it counts.
    I apologize for misstating your rules. I should know them, as I now recall I hit both Right Proper locations last year. And Judd is indeed correct that Hops is not the best beer brewed in the area. I don't think it's a coincidence that they have some of the crummiest bike parking of any qualifying location within 30 miles of DC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    I had to give up a Port City growler for a Hops growler this weekend because of a mix up at the growler fill station. It still stings.
    It must be real fun going into someplace like Adroit or Aslin and asking them to fill your Hops growler

I will defer on the GB issue.

16. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Since there is a clear and unmistakable bias against people who don't "coo" and "aah" at every pic of a puppy or toddler, I refuse to participate in any coffee-related contests.
    Last edited by Steve O; 11-28-2017 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Yes, still bitter.

18. Likes kwarkentien liked this post