Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introduction

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jctonett View Post
    I don't mind being hijacked...

I'm sometimes just happy some other riders will talk to me... to @huskerdont's point.
    Other riders talk to me all the time. Usually "passing" or "on your left"... But every once in a while a brave rider will say good morning or have a good ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I used to think that was strange too--that cyclists didn't say hi or wave to each other. Now I'm surprised when one does, like WTF are you talking to me for are you trying to start something? (I'm not rcannon, but I have aspirations.)

Sometimes certain subgroups do, such as mountain bikers. If you cross paths with a lone mountain biker in the woods on a frozen January morning and that person doesn't return your greeting, there may be issues.
    I wonder how much of that is due to location-specific norms, as well. My experience on the Virginia Capital Trail is that at least half of the cyclists will say hi or wave.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I used to think that was strange too--that cyclists didn't say hi or wave to each other. Now I'm surprised when one does, like WTF are you talking to me for are you trying to start something? (I'm not rcannon, but I have aspirations.)

Sometimes certain subgroups do, such as mountain bikers. If you cross paths with a lone mountain biker in the woods on a frozen January morning and that person doesn't return your greeting, there may be issues.
    I thought the same when I started biking....But your right I get very little back. I still smile or nod my head to everyone riding by. Especially in the winter when we are all wrapped up and you really canít tell whoís who! So I smile and nod at everyone because I just may know them . And the ones I donít know I donít care what they think...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

The mushroom capital of the world is where I grew up! Iíll look for you in the wild.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtowner View Post
    Welcome!

The mushroom capital of the world is where I grew up! Iíll look for you in the wild.
    We lived in KSPA when we were in PA... we liked the town, although it is pretty much convenient to... nothing.

Great for cycling. Five minutes out the door, and I'm on paved (sorta) low traffic roads. When I first moved there though, I used to get lost all the time... winding roads... never knew what direction I was facing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    I wonder how much of that is due to location-specific norms, as well. My experience on the Virginia Capital Trail is that at least half of the cyclists will say hi or wave.
    Could be DC, could be the number of cyclists around. I have also noted that on places like the Virginia Capital Trail, you are more likely to get a greeting, but it's less likely the busier the trail is.

(Also want to give a shout out to the Virginia Capital Trail, which is pretty wonderful. I've done 4 rides down there now, and if I lived there, it would be a weekly thing.)

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to make it down to the Virginia Capital Trail.

I also believe the greeting has something to do with busy trails. I tend to talk to other cyclist at stop lights. It makes it easier to actually chat.

When I rode a canal trail in Delaware everyone was saying hi or good morning. I was surprised but then I started saying it first.