Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Post Thanks / Like

Default Introduction

Hi! My name is John. I joined because I'm interested in doing Freezing Saddles, which likely makes me somewhat certifiable. I moved east from Vegas about 4 years ago. My first stop was in Kennett Square, PA, and about a year ago moved to the DMV, seemingly because I like riding in traffic. I do about 6,000 to 7,000 miles a year, and ride in all kinds of weather (see the part above about "certifiable".)

I usually ride a black Cervelo R3, but I also ride a Norcross Blue (usually for commuting), or a largely pink Fuso 30th Anniversary (steel). Quite often, I wear gear from West Chester Cycling Club (PA, not NY). If you see me around, say hi. Always looking for someone to ride with.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the group! Hope to see you at one of the happy hours soon! (Coffee clubs are too late in the day for me... )

Post Thanks / Like

I moved here from Nevada too. I'm still in shock almost 2 years in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    I moved here from Nevada too. I'm still in shock almost 2 years in.
    Weather? Personalities? Drivers? Do tell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Well, the weather was certainly a shock for me. I think I had one pair of light tights when I moved here. Then I bought some thermal bibs to get through my first winter, when I wouldn't ride unless it was sunny and over 35F. I didn't ride much, obviously. I finally realized I needed more bibs and a lot of other gear... my rationalization was that you use it at least 5 months a year. After all, there's no such thing as bad weather; only bad gear, right?

When I first started riding in Vegas, you definitely were taking your life in your hands, but in the last 10 years, it has really improved. The hills are a lot different, too. Longer, but not as steep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Not to hijack jctonett's intro thread... but I lived in a rural part of Nevada (much different than Vegas) and I have lived all over the place.

My first week or two here I went to the grocery store. The woman parked next to me at the bike rack had a problem with her brakes rubbing. I got out my tools and fixed her bike. She said, "wow, you're really friendly and helpful, you must not be from around here". I think that sums it up pretty well.

7. 11-22-2017, 10:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jctonett View Post
    Well, the weather was certainly a shock for me. I think I had one pair of light tights when I moved here. Then I bought some thermal bibs to get through my first winter, when I wouldn't ride unless it was sunny and over 35F. I didn't ride much, obviously. I finally realized I needed more bibs and a lot of other gear... my rationalization was that you use it at least 5 months a year. After all, there's no such thing as bad weather; only bad gear, right?
    Well, you're going to need gear even to go outside in DC weather. And much of that gear can be repurposed for biking, if you don't want to spend the money for special purpose gear. For example, I have an electrically heated jacket that works for everything from biking to snowball fights.

Not to hijack jctonett's intro thread...
    I think hijacking the threads of newbies is fine. This year, we're making all the newbies make at least one post before they can sign up for Freezing Saddles. Having the discussion meander around after that is a good introduction for them in how this forum normally works.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to hijack jctonett's intro thread...
    This one's all on me.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind being hijacked...

I'm sometimes just happy some other riders will talk to me... to @huskerdont's point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jctonett View Post
    I don't mind being hijacked...

I'm sometimes just happy some other riders will talk to me... to @huskerdont's point.
    I used to think that was strange too--that cyclists didn't say hi or wave to each other. Now I'm surprised when one does, like WTF are you talking to me for are you trying to start something? (I'm not rcannon, but I have aspirations.)

Sometimes certain subgroups do, such as mountain bikers. If you cross paths with a lone mountain biker in the woods on a frozen January morning and that person doesn't return your greeting, there may be issues.