Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Hains Point 100

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2017 Hains Point 100

Sign up is now available for the 2017 Hains Point 100. It's on Sunday, December 17th. The HP100 raises money to help fund WABA's Women & Bicycles program. It's a great time every year with hundreds of cyclists riding casual laps, chatting at the rest area and lots of fabulous door prizes.

http://www.hainspoint100.com
    Last edited by Judd; 11-16-2017 at 11:42 AM.

2. Likes Emm, Harry Meatmotor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, it appears that, I have cornered the market on posting about the Hains Point 100.

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...321#post149321
    http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...548#post126548

4. Likes Erin Potter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there an advantage to registering beforehand? I know that last year I registered there and had done a couple of laps before it started. I went home after a few more as a front came through.

I wonder how many laps I have accumulated on HP so far this year. I am sure it is some ridiculous number.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely going- thanks for putting the post up, Judd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    Is there an advantage to registering beforehand? I know that last year I registered there and had done a couple of laps before it started. I went home after a few more as a front came through.

I wonder how many laps I have accumulated on HP so far this year. I am sure it is some ridiculous number.

Advantages:
    1. It locks you into the event and Women And Bikes gets some of your cash still if a blizzard comes through and you decide to not go on the day of the event.
    2. The HP100 is completely volunteer organized. It's awesome for Megan to be able to see registrations and money raised ahead of time while she's working so hard to secure sponsors, door prizes, registrants, supplies.

If you run Strava, you can see how many laps you've done this year. Search for the segment Hains Point (gate to gate). Click "my results" and then filter on "This Year".

Name:  HP Segments.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  23.1 KB

9. Likes MrTinDC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip, Judd, and an impressive total for this year! I've only done 184 this year, 1136 all-time (since I started using Strava, anyway).

11. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Advantages:
    1. It locks you into the event and Women And Bikes gets some of your cash still if a blizzard comes through and you decide to not go on the day of the event.
    2. The HP100 is completely volunteer organized. It's awesome for Megan to be able to see registrations and money raised ahead of time while she's working so hard to secure sponsors, door prizes, registrants, supplies.

If you run Strava, you can see how many laps you've done this year. Search for the segment Hains Point (gate to gate). Click "my results" and then filter on "This Year".

Name:  HP Segments.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  23.1 KB
    Thank.

I don't have Strava.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hains Point 100 - More Info!

Thanks so much for posting this Judd! And, you are absolutely correct - by signing up beforehand it helps me know how many to expect (for some of the in-kind donations this is key!) and 2) if we change the date (please no ice!) we can let everyone know and 3) helps me organize day-of lines for those that have registered and those that have not (and want to give on site).

A bit of background, the Hains Point 100 was started 6 years ago to help support the (then non-existent) Washington Area Bicyclist Association's Women & Bicycles program. This year it will be held on December 17th and encourages riders to ride the Hains Point 3 mile loop as many times as they can. Doing a 3-mile loop can get a little boring so to entertain us during this event, there are giveaways, hand-ups, food, and freebies from generous supporters. The Hains Point 100 is open to all riders of all ages and all bikes and biking abilities. Over the years this event has attracted hundreds and hundreds of riders and it has raised thousands of dollars. Since 2013, the Women & Bicycles group has grown to over 6700 women and has inspired women to not only ride their bikes but to become leaders, educators and advocates within the cycling community.

If you'd like to sign-up go to www.HainsPoint100.com. If you can't make it you can still donate through that website.

There is also a huge list of FAQs on the website that will give you a sense of what to expect day-of and what the "agenda" is for the day - besides have fun!

Right now this is a list of all the business supporters of the Hains Point 100...and it's still growing! You can follow along as to what they all have donated on the official Hains Point 100 Facebook event page.

Acme Pie Co.
    Aero Tech Designs
    Arte by Charlotte
    AssSavers
    Beeline Bikes Northern Virginia
    Best Bike Rides DC
    BikeArlington
    Bikenetic - Full Service Bicycle Shop
    Bikie Girl Bloomers
    The Bike Rack DC
    bird industries
    Capital Bikeshare
    Chainspirations.com
    City Bikes
    Conte's Bike Shop
    Darrell Parks Cycling Calendars
    District Hardware and Bike
    District Taco
    Dominion Cycling Photography
    Evelyn Hill Cycling
    Fare Well
    Founding Farmers Restaurant Group
    Handy Bikes DC
    High Cloud PeasantMan Triathlon
    Java Cruiser
    Jump Mobility
    KIND Snacks
    Lafayette Square Tour of Scandal, Assassination & Intrigue
    Michael Levesque, AXA Advisors Financial Professional
    Nuu-Muu
    A Patriotís A to Z of America: Things Every Good American Should Know
    Phoenix Bikes
    Po Campo
    Proteus Bicycles
    Rapha DC Pop Up
    Special FX Lighting, Inc.
    Spokes Etc.
    Squij Kat, Inc.
    Teaism Penn Quarter
    The Bike Lane
    Trek Bicycle Store
    Truly-Life Eco Gifts
    The Two-Term Jinx!: Why Most Presidents Stumble in Their Second Terms, and How Some Succeed - Volume 1, George Washington-Theodore Roosevelt
    Ursula's Handmade Cycling Hats!
    velofix
    Veni Vidi Velo
    The Willary

Hope you can join us on December 17th!

Post Thanks / Like

I know I can't wait! It really is the rolling Holiday Party of the local bike community. Besides, its great to go into year-end family gatherings humble-bragging: "So last week I rode XX miles in this charity ride and..."

15. Likes streetsmarts, Judd, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking forward to HP100

Thanks for the reminder! I missed this in previous years and will try to round up some riders to attend.

17. Likes Judd liked this post