Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: December 2017 ABAC Meeting - Monday 12/4/17

  1. #1
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default December 2017 ABAC Meeting - Monday 12/4/17

    In preparation for December's BAC meeting, where we expect ACPD to join us, we'd like to put together some questions to send to ACPD in advance.

    This thread on a collision on Columbia leads to a few questions (they likely will be unwilling to discuss this particular case, but asking hypothetically):

    1) Whether ACPD considers a particular speed "too fast" for a sidewalk (and whether that is context dependent, etc)
    2) What sources of information ACPD looks at in developing incident reports -- sounds like the victim here had Strava and ACPD never even asked for that information.
    3) What the process is for review of an officer's report - both before and after it's entered into the system.

    If anyone has questions to add to that list -- either specific to this thread or more general -- please let me know (the sooner the better - ACPD likes to prepare).

    Also, we're going to discuss ACPD bringing statistics to each meeting (they come quarterly). Seems to me like a standard list would be helpful both for them and for us. If you have ideas on what stats you'd like to see from ACPD on a regular basis, please let me know (comment, PM, email, etc etc).

  2. #2
    mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    In preparation for December's BAC meeting, where we expect ACPD to join us, we'd like to put together some questions to send to ACPD in advance.

    This thread on a collision on Columbia leads to a few questions (they likely will be unwilling to discuss this particular case, but asking hypothetically):

    1) Whether ACPD considers a particular speed "too fast" for a sidewalk (and whether that is context dependent, etc)
    And if there's an actual legal basis for that, or just what an officer decides arbitrarily? Whether there's any training on the topic or published guidelines?

    Also, we're going to discuss ACPD bringing statistics to each meeting (they come quarterly). Seems to me like a standard list would be helpful both for them and for us. If you have ideas on what stats you'd like to see from ACPD on a regular basis, please let me know (comment, PM, email, etc etc).
    Injury statistics? Citations given in collisions involving injury? Citations changed on review?
    Last edited by mstone; 11-08-2017 at 02:16 PM.

  3. Likes dasgeh liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,974
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Totally unrelated to the Columbia Pike crash thread, but I'd be interested in the number of citations issued for parking in a bike lane.

  5. Likes Sunyata, dasgeh, Emm liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Columbia Pike
    Posts
    1,350
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Totally unrelated to the Columbia Pike crash thread, but I'd be interested in the number of citations issued for parking in a bike lane.
    You & me both.

  7. Likes dasgeh, Judd, Steve O liked this post
  8. #5
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Love it. Keep 'em coming.

    I was thinking citations for:
    • blocking the bike lane
    • 3-foot when passing rule
    • failure to yield to person crossing at a crosswalk
    • failure to yield while turning


    & citations issued to people on bikes.

  9. Likes sjclaeys, Judd, Emm liked this post
  10. #6
    mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Love it. Keep 'em coming.

    I was thinking citations for:
    • blocking the bike lane
    • 3-foot when passing rule
    • failure to yield to person crossing at a crosswalk
    • failure to yield while turning


    & citations issued to people on bikes.
    ooh, how 'bout failure to obey "no turn on red when pedestrian is present" and similar? or even just failure to obey "no turn on red". Failure to look right when turning on red? (haha, I know, but maybe if someone asks they'll get the point.)

  11. Likes dasgeh, Steve O liked this post
  12. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Columbia Pike
    Posts
    1,350
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    love it. Keep 'em coming.
    dooring

  13. Likes dasgeh liked this post
  14. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    2) What sources of information ACPD looks at in developing incident reports -- sounds like the victim here had Strava and ACPD never even asked for that information.
    Can you also ask about the status of evidence from camera recordings, telemetry data from phone apps other than Strava, from fitness devices, from GPS bike computers like Lezyne, e-bike controller speed limit settings.

    Cheers!

  15. Likes dasgeh liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •