Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: chain stuck

Post Thanks / Like

I carry pocket tissues all the time for such an occasion. Like others said, check the limit screws. If they are fine, then the chain could be of incorrect length for the gears that you are using, especially if you changed to a different cassette or chainrings with different number of teeth. In this case, cutting the new chain to the same size as the old one as commonly advised won't work well in this case. There is a wiggle room, but if the chain is too long, it would slip causing it to derail. This online bicycle chain length calculator tells you the recommended chain length for the gears that you have now. The only issue with that calculator is that you need to multiply the number of links by 2 to get the correct number. It gives a result like "56 inches or 56 links", the length in inches is correct, but chain links are 0.5" long, so this means 56*2=112 Links.

2. Likes Lt. Dan, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    I carry pocket tissues all the time for such an occasion.
    Also: disposable latex or nitrile gloves

4. Likes Steve O, streetsmarts liked this post
  5. 11-07-2017, 02:43 PM

6. 11-07-2017, 02:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like

You all seem to think I know more than I do. Regular commuter bike rider for 1.5 years. Not long. Taken a few very basic bike maintenance classes. (Thanks Phoenix, Spokes, Bike House).

I could learn a thing or two about shifting but basically, in city riding, I start off from stops in one gear (easy) and when I am cruising (like down 11th street ) I may make it a harder gear .

Then, of course, I come to a stop, I shift to an easier gear, while pedaling, before I stop (If possible).

I still can't wrap my brain around which is a bigger gear, smaller ring, etc. - the words to describe what I do.

* But my question stands : Should I try to undo this stuck chain, or take to a bike shop?
    Would I have to do anything other than pull the chain, maybe give it some slack ? If I could damage things, which I think I could, I think I'll rush home and then go to a bike shop."

It's been stuck before (friends can attest)- but this time is especially bad.

Post Thanks / Like

[This was supposed to be a reply to easy rider I think. Still learning to use the Forum!]

Hi I don't think we've met (?).
    I'm relatively new at this. I know the purpose of the limit screws, and the cables, and have had basic classes in adjusting them (Thanks Phoenix and Bike House) - but I have not replaced a derailleur cable, and I don't know how to make sure the cage is int he right place.
    I go to the bike shop to make sure it's good. And I was there last week, maybe, for adjustments to the shifters.
    (see, I'm not sure exactly what they did).

It doesn't happen on its own; last night, I was pedaling (not sure what gear), came to a light where I wasn't sure where I was going (Vermont, Q , 11th, maybe) and decided to stop - something like that. Or the chain dropped as I was shifting, and I was in the middle of an intersection, in the dark - and just trying to either pedal or get off the road.

So...

Post Thanks / Like

I would say do it yourself, but in a very well let area. Don't try it too hard, just try another method of one doesn't work. I would generally try both peddling backward and pulling the chain at the same time.

10. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes the only way to get a chain that's stuck like that one out without scratching the crap out of the chainstay or BB shell, or bending links in the chain, is to remove the drive side crank arm. In a shop, that's a 2 minute job. At home without proper tools, i.e., a crank puller, it's pretty much impossible.

12. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    Sometimes the only way to get a chain that's stuck like that one out without scratching the crap out of the chainstay or BB shell, or bending links in the chain, is to remove the drive side crank arm. In a shop, that's a 2 minute job. At home without proper tools, i.e., a crank puller, it's pretty much impossible.
    I was thinking the same thing. So if you see someone drenched and freezing tonight, rushing home and walking the bike to the bike shop - that'll be me. Prep for Freezing Saddles!

Also, note to self - if you get a large bike, and put fenders and a rack on it - no matter what car you own/rent or taxi /rideshare you take - it's not easy to put the bike in it and not easy to transport without messing up the fenders. Little did I know.

So last I night did bus/Metro... which work. But wish I could've done rideshare.

14. 11-07-2017, 03:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    The other thing that I can think of is how you're shifting. If you're holding the shifter down for a long time when shifting, this can cause an overshift and a chain drop.
    Weren't you talking about offering some "learn how to" classes. Like maybe "let's talk about shifting". ......

16. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    Weren't you talking about offering some "learn how to" classes. Like maybe "let's talk about shifting". ......
    Somebody gave me this book a few years ago. You're welcome to borrow it if you want to read up on some of this stuff (it has a whole section on shifting I found very helpful.) I found it useful overall, although hands-on-lessons are usually even better

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Somebody gave me this book a few years ago. You're welcome to borrow it if you want to read up on some of this stuff (it has a whole section on shifting I found very helpful.) I found it useful overall, although hands-on-lessons are usually even better
    Good book. Komorebi lent it to me last year but I didn't get to read much. I still have a lot to learn. Would love to borrow it again. Thanks!