Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear Derailleur adjustment for newbies

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    If you can put it on a stand (or hang it on a tree branch or whatever) and turn the pedals, you should be able to ascertain if the squeak is coming from the derailleur.
    If it doesn't squeak on the stand but it does while you are riding, then it is you that is squeaking.
    http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...114#post127114

So, er, like yeah.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    My questions to the hive mind - is adjusting a derailleur hard (assume I have a pretty full slate of tools, thanks to the building's bike room) ? Is there anything I can seriously mess up if I do it wrong?
    There is one thing I can think of where you can seriously mess things up with a derailleur adjustment: if you let out one of the limit screws too much, you could possibly "overshift", which is more likely to happen when going to easier gears/larger cogs. What will happen is the chain will jump over the top of the cassette and get jammed between the spokes and cassette. I've seen it so bad that the person had to break their chain and remove their cassette to untangle the mess. On the other end of the cassette, when shifting down all the way to the smallest cog/hardest gear, the chain can possibly get stuck between the cassette and frame.

I agree with the others that say it could be a jockey wheel squeaking, or like Hozn suggested, a rubber endcap -- which on Shimano hubs I've worked on, the endcap stays stationary while the hub body rotates, rubbing each other and possibly making noise. Check out my pic...

Name:  hubrub.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  13.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Don't hang your bike from a tree, Jeanne.
    But I will agree that putting your bike in a stand or something else that is not a tree is helpful for locating sounds. I had a squeak once that I swore was coming from the chain ring while I was riding but was actually the squeak of an improperly torqued handlebar.

Steve O is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent an entire commute once trying to locate a squeak. It was not coincident with wheel rotation, chain rotation or crank rotation. It squeaked when I went over bumps. As I was riding I kept holding different things: fender, bottle cage, light mount, etc. to see if it would stop. But no, every bump, a little squeak.
    It had rained the day before, and I thought maybe it had something to do with that. "Dang...it's somewhere here towards the front of the bike." I just couldn't pinpoint it, though. For 20 minutes I searched and searched.
    Turns out it was the rain. The rain had soaked the spongy things inside my helmet. Each time I hit a bump the helmet would move slightly and they would rub against the inside of the helmet, making a little squeak. It was so close to my ear that I could not determine where it was coming from. I had a good laugh at myself.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I put the bike up on the rack, and yeah, I guess this time it did seem like the squeak was coming from the jockey wheels. I lubed them as best I could (I don't yet have spray lube). They still squeak - it looks like the chain presses against the metal thing that holds the jockey wheel. I will get spray lube and try that, but I fear that will not solve it, and again, I am reluctant to mess with the jockey wheel or it's holder. And I fear the rubbing, aside from being embarrassing, is doing damage to the chain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I put the bike up on the rack, and yeah, I guess this time it did seem like the squeak was coming from the jockey wheels. I lubed them as best I could (I don't yet have spray lube). They still squeak - it looks like the chain presses against the metal thing that holds the jockey wheel. I will get spray lube and try that, but I fear that will not solve it, and again, I am reluctant to mess with the jockey wheel or it's holder. And I fear the rubbing, aside from being embarrassing, is doing damage to the chain.
    How many miles are on the derailleur? Sounds like maybe one of the jockey wheels is shot if the chain is rubbing on the derailleur cage (which, by the way, will suffer far more damage from this condition than the chain).