Thread: Guardian article on dockless bikes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guardian article on dockless bikes

In case anyone missed it, here is a fascinating article from today’s Guardian on DC’s dockless bikes.

Why we can't have nice things: dockless bikes and the tragedy of the commons.

Behind this bucolic industry is a multibillion-dollar battle between China’s big tech companies and Silicon Valley, and the nightmare of vandals and parking.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...of-the-commons

2. Likes Bob James, Steve O, Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    In case anyone missed it, here is a fascinating article from today’s Guardian on DC’s dockless bikes.
    Why we can't have nice things: dockless bikes and the tragedy of the commons.
    Behind this bucolic industry is a multibillion-dollar battle between China’s big tech companies and Silicon Valley, and the nightmare of vandals and parking.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...of-the-commons
    Interesting, but is the writer for or against dockless bikes? Seems like there's a good argument to be made for both sides. I like using technology to prevent bikes from being able
    to be locked in unwanted places and penalizing users for otherwise bad parking decisions.

I like the Cabi docking concept, but there were many times I was unable to find an open docking station and to find another would have caused me to be late. Maybe a compromise solution is
    an open corral for bikes in more designated places.

4. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob James View Post
    Interesting, but is the writer for or against dockless bikes? Seems like there's a good argument to be made for both sides. I like using technology to prevent bikes from being able
    to be locked in unwanted places and penalizing users for otherwise bad parking decisions.

I like the Cabi docking concept, but there were many times I was unable to find an open docking station and to find another would have caused me to be late. Maybe a compromise solution is
    an open corral for bikes in more designated places.
    So far, the vast majority of dockless bikes I've seen have been parked in appropriate places. And I've found I'm actually using dockless bikes, even though I never used CaBi, because I don't have to worry about how far a dock is from my destination, and whether it will be full. Yes, you can park at another dock if the first one is full, but that's not practical if you are rushing to a meeting.