Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Freezing Saddles 2018

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Get rid of the individual leaderboard and just track teams. That seems to be most in the spirit of what FS has become (for the better, fwiw).
    Just to note, I HAVE used the individual leaderboard ("I am no longer in the bottom third! I am now in the top half! If you double my points, its the same as some of the more frequent riders I hang out with!")

Also I am sad that the reindeer games (which have been part of FS at least since 2015 when I first participated) offend people. Though we COULD stand to shorten the final happy hour presentations a bit

2. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will ride with you if you go slow and if there is "Fireball" involved I will ride with anyone.
    Liz

4. Likes rcannon100, Rod Smith liked this post
    ELITE rcannon100 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    ftfy
    Bob Cannon sent me a PM that said doing laps alone in the dark was exactly what he had in mind when he created Freezing Saddles.

I am cool with Steve Os forthcoming proposal that 10 Points be assigned for each Hains Point lap someone completes with me to encourage more social interaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Bob James, Edelweiss, hozn, Emm liked this post
    ELITE rcannon100 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Throwing my 2 cents in--I like the idea of social points, and I agree that they should be capped so we don't make it too much of an advantage to live in certain areas and have lots of free time. 10 per ride, and a max of social per week (20-50?) would help. That way those who don't want to be social aren't at a terrible disadvantage and can make up for it with extra miles, but it still encourages people to meet up with others and join a ride. The community building aspect is one of my favorite parts of freezing saddles, so I'm all for motivating people to go for a group ride

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion of using "rode together" was proposed because it's something I believe can be tracked. There are lots of ways it's not perfect, which many of you have pointed out. Everyone's a critic! (and a sparse few have new ideas). I actually don't think it's the best way to include the "Spirit" of Freezing Saddles in the scoring; it just seemed feasible. If you have ways to improve on it, please continue to put those forward.
    -------------------------
    Since my stock in trade is ideas and I have a thick skin, here's another:

What we are trying to capture, I believe is the "Spirit" of Freezing Saddles. Each of us has a slightly different take on what that means, but we can identify others who we think embody it. Maybe it's hozn and jrenaut for the hard work they do behind the scenes, maybe it's w&w's clever limerick titles, maybe it's Sunyata's sock game or someone's cool sock pic, maybe it's Bob James's cow pics, maybe it's Judd's awesome President's Day Fun Ride, maybe it's Eric Williams's insane 600k up to NY and back, maybe it's sclaeys beerneuring contest, maybe it's that newbie you spotted on the trail because they had a hang tag.....
    Each of us has a sense of it.
    My idea is to let each of us decide that for ourselves and contribute points accordingly.

Acknowledging up front that I have no idea how this could be automated, here's the outline:

Each day you ride, you get 10 points you can award to someone else (or spread among others) whom you feel embodies the Spirit of Freezing Saddles. They can't be on your team, though; must be another team.

Use them however you like. If you like the idea of days and miles, then award your points to people with the most days and miles. If you like the idea of going to coffee clubs, then award them to people you see at coffee clubs. If you like beerneuring, then award them to people who are drinking beer. If you think the people offering pointless prizes deserve points, then give them points. If you just want to give them to your friend, give them to your friend. If you like that newbies are playing, then give your points to newbies. It's up to you. Everyone can decide what they think most embodies Freezing Saddles, and their sense of it then gets reflected in the scoring.

If you ever read The Wisdom of Crowds by James Surowiecki, this has a bit of that built into it: no one person has much effect, but the "Crowd" is wiser than even the best experts, and ends up reflecting the optimal outcome.

9. Likes Edelweiss, hozn liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting idea. Not sure yet on how to automate/track it in sw, but I'm sure it could be done.

That's a good book too!

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    If you ever read The Wisdom of Crowds by James Surowiecki, this has a bit of that built into it: no one person has much effect, but the "Crowd" is wiser than even the best experts, and ends up reflecting the optimal outcome.
    Right now what the crowd is telling me is that the old FS rules (circa winter 2017) were so great, that FS is oversubscribed, and we are among other things arguing about whom to throw out (losers? non-participants? the unsocial? Instead of just whomever tried to register late) . That suggests that improving it in any way is not actually a priority.

#Wisdomofmarkets #economistsareweird #weshouldalljustgoforaride #notnecessarilytogetheryouunderstand

12. Likes streetsmarts, wheels&wings liked this post
    ELITE Bob James, Judd ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't read that, but I have read Wikipedia, which tells me:

"New Coke was discontinued in July 2002. It remains influential as a cautionary tale against tampering too extensively with a well-established and successful brand."

14. ELITE Bob James ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just remember there's truth in the statement that "none of us is as dumb as all of us"

Not to pick on them, but keep in mind people such as Judd, Komorebi, & LSG who I rarely see riding apart from each other will benefit the most from these "social" points.

Think about how fast a team with a few people who already know each other and typically ride together will pull away from teams who start as strangers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AFHokie; 12-01-2017 at 05:39 PM.

16. Likes Judd, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    Just remember there's truth in the statement that "none of us is as dumb as all of us"

Not to pick on them, but keep in mind people such as Judd, Komorebi, & LSG who I rarely see riding apart from each other will benefit the most from these "social" points.

Think about how fast a team with a few people who already know each other and typically ride together will pull away from teams who start as strangers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk
    The idea as I understood it was you would only get credit for a person once, so there was not an inherent huge benefit to scenarios like (not to single people out) jrenaut riding with his wife or what you noted...just a one time benefit.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

18. Likes jrenaut, hozn, Steve O liked this post