Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 319

Thread: Freezing Saddles 2018

  1. #271
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What I like about FS is that each of us can participate in our own ways and in a capacity that meets our unique personal situations, lifestyle challenges, work shifts and geographic limitations. What brings us together is that we’re all riding our bikes through the winter. We are all "crazy."

    In terms of community building, there are so many different ways of interacting that I don’t see why we’d want to give extra weight to the least social of them – riding “together.” To have a conversation, however superficial and shallow, while riding “together” on the Custis or MVT, you need to be side by side. And frankly, that is something I try to minimize even with the best of friends, because often it is rude and hazardous to other trail users. Caravans can be fun, but interactions are far deeper and more meaningful when not playing hopscotch with joggers, cars, and other cyclists.

    I think we all want to discourage the “dead wood” who sign up but don’t ride and never introduce themselves all season long. To that end, I applaud the ideas of Sunyata and others to cull the teams as needed. If people don’t show up at the opening happy hour and remain invisible online for the first week or two, it makes sense to give their slots to others.

  2. #272
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Posts
    4,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    ... What brings us together is that we’re all riding our bikes through the winter. We are all "crazy." ...
    You win the pointless prize for best Forum comment ever!

  3. Likes rcannon100, Bob James, Edelweiss liked this post
  4. #273
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,618
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    To have a conversation, however superficial and shallow, while riding “together” on the Custis or MVT, you need to be side by side. And frankly, that is something I try to minimize even with the best of friends, because often it is rude and hazardous to other trail users. Caravans can be fun, but interactions are far deeper and more meaningful when not playing hopscotch with joggers, cars, and other cyclists.
    I am good with however FS is "scored". But I want to defend group ride conversations There are lots of things, like deep dives into how to brew coffee, or even what to pay for a new bike, that can happen better in other venues, sure. But there are some things - like pointing out infrastructure things, or ways to ride efficiently and safely, or how beautiful a particular tree is, that are really best discussed out in the wild. Of course we should never ride in an unsafe manner on trails (and yes, I am truly sorry for the time I was so absorbed talking to BobCo that I drifted a bit over the yellow line on the CCT) but there other ways to talk - side by side in a road, at a stopping point, and even NOT by side by side (with tolerance for "wait, what did you say? I didn't catch that") .

  5. Likes Edelweiss, hozn, LhasaCM liked this post
  6. #274
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    665
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    In terms of community building, there are so many different ways of interacting that I don’t see why we’d want to give extra weight to the least social of them – riding “together.” To have a conversation, however superficial and shallow, while riding “together” on the Custis or MVT, you need to be side by side. And frankly, that is something I try to minimize even with the best of friends, because often it is rude and hazardous to other trail users. Caravans can be fun, but interactions are far deeper and more meaningful when not playing hopscotch with joggers, cars, and other cyclists.
    Also, the proposed means of measuring riding together, Strava's determination that you rode "with" someone, will give some crazy results that will not necessarily count the interaction described by W&W above, but may count something even less than that. For example, in the Great Pumpkin Ride, Stava said I rode with only riders I follow: the other members of Team TMNT (whom I did spend considerable time riding "with") plus Tania, whom I passed a few times because I hung out at the pit stops longer than she did but whom I would not consider I rode "with" in any meaningful way. On my commutes, I don't know how many times I've ridden "with" someone I may not even have seen on my ride because we kept about the same pace but remained however far apart Strava will still consider riding together. Based on a surprising lack of expected FlyBys, I think there may also be an element of ride posting timing that affects whether Stava decides you rode with someone.

    Point being, it might be worth setting up a leader board including an element of "riding with" other participants just to see if the results make any kind of sense, and if they do consider adopting it for 2019.

  7. #275
    hozn's Avatar
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,377
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Also, the proposed means of measuring riding together, Strava's determination that you rode "with" someone, will give some crazy results that will not necessarily count the interaction described by W&W above, but may count something even less than that. For example, in the Great Pumpkin Ride, Stava said I rode with only riders I follow: the other members of Team TMNT (whom I did spend considerable time riding "with") plus Tania, whom I passed a few times because I hung out at the pit stops longer than she did but whom I would not consider I rode "with" in any meaningful way. On my commutes, I don't know how many times I've ridden "with" someone I may not even have seen on my ride because we kept about the same pace but remained however far apart Strava will still consider riding together. Based on a surprising lack of expected FlyBys, I think there may also be an element of ride posting timing that affects whether Stava decides you rode with someone.

    Point being, it might be worth setting up a leader board including an element of "riding with" other participants just to see if the results make any kind of sense, and if they do consider adopting it for 2019.
    I acknowledge that it's not perfect -- especially on races or large group rides (where I think we also don't really care that much) -- but Strava's algorithm generally produces expected results for me on normal rides or commutes. I ride with people two or 3 times a week and Strava has yet to get confused about that.

    We may agree that sitting down at coffee to talk to someone is more social than riding bikes with them, but we can't measure that, so it doesn't make sense to score it. (I'd generally say that anything one does when they're not pedaling a bicycle probably doesn't make sense to incorporate into scoring for a cycling competition.)

    Anyway, I think we need to summarize the proposed rule changes. (And I need to spell out the proposed algorithm for mileage -> points conversions.)

  8. #276
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    2,060
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So I think the consensus here is that scoring should be based entirely on the number of Hains Points laps.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. Dislikes Sunyata, Edelweiss, LhasaCM, Emm, bentbike33 disliked this post
  10. #277
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    How would I be unknown if you knew my location?
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    After twenty eight pages of looking downward, I can definitely say my navel remains an innie.

  11. Likes Boomer2U, streetsmarts, bentbike33 liked this post
  12. #278
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like to ride when it makes sense; weather conditions are not often the determining factor. I would never appear in the high mileage category, or add all that much to a team ranking. To turn the winter months into a cycling game the past two years taught me good stuff about how to endure the cold on a bike*, but it was primarily a self-challenge. I enjoy sincere interactions with people I've met in this community, just a quick catch-up or great conversations while huddling over coffee. I really don't care if anyone grants me the badass label, and I respect and appreciate those of you for whom that's a thing**.

    This game as it's evolving with emphasis on scoring social interactions, mandatory social media participation and selfies, consuming empty sugar-based calories, and prizes for a wide array of "whatever" seems adolescent, totally confusing, and ultimately abhorrent to me. There's an undercurrent of real competition, but it's lost in the two-faced advertising. Culling the losers in an otherwise ridiculous game where everyone can win something seems like an arbitrary, cruel, and unnecessary bait-and-switch. Sure "each of us can participate in our own ways," but geez that's a LOT of noise to tune out. There's literally nothing about FS that motivates me to want to participate. Obviously at least 250 people disagree, so one of them can have my space.



    *Key elements: good 4-season bike, quality clothing layers, a damned impressive Buffs and socks collection, a tiny audio system for those dark cold solo rides, and attainment of zen.
    **Seriously, those of you itching to battle it out, why not just organize yourselves and make it happen?

  13. Likes rcannon100, streetsmarts liked this post
  14. #279
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by judd View Post
    so i think the consensus here is that demerits should be based entirely on the number of hains points laps.
    ftfy

  15. Likes rcannon100, LhasaCM, lordofthemark liked this post
  16. #280
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by UnknownCyclist View Post
    After twenty eight pages of looking downward, I can definitely say my navel remains an innie.
    bahahahahaha....good one ;-) Needed that...working on my status report for work...tad mind numbing. reading these posts...pretty entertaining. Elizabeth I Like Wheels

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •