Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Freezing Saddles 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dplasters View Post
    As someone who put up a mediocre 1,173 points last year and is now going to be going in with a six month old - generally speaking - would anyone be excited to have me on their team? I can do any team meetup as long as its at Caboose off the W&O or any place in the Mosaic District. I'm super flexible. Swear.

Seriously - I'm looking for a general idea of if I'd meet the bar for "good teammate" or if it's better for me to sit it out this year.
    I agree with Steve O and others...itís not the points but the effort and camaraderie you build during the season where most people would hang their bike up and wait for spring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes kwarkentien, Steve O, vern, Emm, jrenaut and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CBGanimal View Post
    I agree with Steve O and others...itís not the points but the effort and camaraderie you build during the season where most people would hang their bike up and wait for spring!
    Hey I didn't have a team last year and somehow benefitted from the effort and camaraderie. Sometimes... you have to make your own rules (pops collar on leather jacket).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    This is the sort of question I don't like having asked. People should play if Freezing Saddles is working to encourage them to get out and ride more than they would have otherwise and is a catalyst for improving community. The number of points should be secondary to those things, IMO.
    So if FS will motivate you to ride more than you would have--even if it's less than last year, then I want you to play. How many points you contribute to your team is less important than that.
    This is precisely why I am struggling. BAFS may get me out the door more often during the winter, but only for the daily points bonus, not actually to ride more, so I don't feel it's an effective motivator for me. As for improving community, I don't see how having 250 people out really accomplishes this when so many aren't really invested in the game, let alone the community. For me, BAFS would meet these standards if the game were limited to people who are going to compete in a positive way: I would be more likely to increase my mileage if I felt it would make any difference to the team, and playing with other people who are invested would definitely facilitate improving community. As it stands now, I feel like we're just carrying a lot of dead weight. I find it very telling that the so-called slacker team is largely comprised of people who are more dedicated to winter riding than many who are on actual teams.

5. Likes hozn, sjclaeys liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    ...As it stands now, I feel like we're just carrying a lot of dead weight. I find it very telling that the so-called slacker team is largely comprised of people who are more dedicated to winter riding than many who are on actual teams.
    Yes, this.

If I weren't lazy and sort of busy, I'd love to go back and see how many active forum members we've picked up who never posted before their first BAFS and now contribute, or at least attend forum gatherings.

7. Likes dkel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We had a ten rider team in the National Bike Challenge. Might be nice if we allowed that team to become a Freezing Saddles team. Because camaraderie, the spirit of Freezing Saddles, encouraging people to ride more, reindeer games, puppies and stuff like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    If I weren't lazy and sort of busy, I'd love to go back and see how many active forum members we've picked up who never posted before their first BAFS and now contribute, or at least attend forum gatherings.
    Well, we're early on here, but BAFS 2018 brought me to the forum, and now I find myself following this thread and poking around others. Turnover/regeneration would probably be useful. If there really is dead weight, drop it, create more space for new players, then after the winter re-evaluate to identify new dead weight.

10. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For even distribution of the talent, make the top point-scorers of FS 2017 captains, then let them take turns picking the rest of us schlubs to be on their team.
    Last edited by drevil; 11-07-2017 at 09:26 AM.

12. Likes vern, jrenaut, Judd, Rod Smith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    For even distribution of the talent, make the top point-scorers of FS 2017 captains, then let them take turns picking the rest of us schlubs to be on their team.
    I've done a couple of Freezing Saddles Fantasy League drafts on long car rides with Komorebi and LSG. Most of our picks end up being based on people we like riding with the most, which is sometimes divorced from picks that would result in the most points.

14. Likes Steve O, jrenaut, streetsmarts, Emm liked this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

I've participated in BAFS every year, missed only one day of riding in all the competitions, was high point rider one year and on winning team another, have contributed a couple pointless prizes and won a couple others, have been to happy hours and team rides (ok enough bragging), but do not expect to be in the area again this year between 1/1/2018 and 3/19/2018. I am not concerned about being on a team, have been perfectly happy with the existing scoring system since it is neat and simple, and will defer to the preferences of the loudest.

16. Likes kwarkentien, Judd, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I've done a couple of Freezing Saddles Fantasy League drafts on long car rides with Komorebi and LSG. Most of our picks end up being based on people we like riding with the most, which is sometimes divorced from picks that would result in the most points.
    Remind me to never go on a car ride with you three.

18. Dislikes Judd disliked this post