Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: Freezing Saddles 2018

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    I'm with gina and AFhokie on this one. I think we're going too far in trying to legislate a particular way to play the game.

SteveO mentioned earlier that he regards New Coke as a positive example because the company experimented and learned from it. Well, what they learned was that people had a tremendous affinity for the existing product - far more than the company had realized - and to leave well enough alone. Or, to put it another way,

There's a reason why DC is 2800 miles away from Silicon Valley:
    DC bureaucrat - "I will put in place many convoluted rules to in an attempt legislate how people behave, distorting their natural preferences and the market"
    Silicon Valley entrepreneur- "Hey, I've got a product that people like. Let's run with it!"

What are the natural preferences of human beings? I gather for most people, its to stay inside in the winter, as much as possible, to the extent of MOVING to warmer climates, keeping two households, etc. With outdoor exercise largely confined to sports that can ONLY be done in the winter. Having FS, and scoring it at all, is encouraging people against their natural preferences. Its just a matter of how we do so. And its a game. Games have rules. Sometimes simple rules, sometimes complicated rules. You don't want rules, don't play a game.

I can see the case for simple rules. But that doesn't mean the simplest possible rules (I mean wouldn't it be simpler to just count miles and NOT give extra points for the first mile? But does anyone want that?)

And as someone who has the psychological profile to enjoy this kind of quibbling, I readily understand that many people do not - though this community's apparent friendliness to this particular variety of nerdiness has been one thing I have found welcoming about it. Some people hear a debate and feel a "fight" though the participants don't necessarily feel that at all. And thats okay. But I think that the intense, convoluted, "argumentative" (but with respect, and even, dare I say, with love) way of being is just as valid a way of being in the world as the more retiring way.

So SteveO, keep posting. Even though you are completely wrong
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 12-05-2017 at 05:16 PM. Reason: a misleading homonym

2. Likes hozn, elizsnyder, fxbooks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post

But its odd to have people so thrown by by some nerdy discussions. You don't have to read them (and maybe we should keep that to its special thread).

People are really emotionally invested in Freezing Saddles and I canít blame them. I had an emotional response to the discussion which is probably best discussed at coffee club.

4. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So SteveO, keep posting. Even though you are completely wrong
    This.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL @ people who actually care about the points!

Go ride your damn bike in the cold.

Best freezing saddles commute: not a single other idiotic soul riding their bike at 6 am, 15 degrees and the howling wind. That's better than any points.

7. ELITE lordofthemark ELITED this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    People are really emotionally invested in Freezing Saddles and I can’t blame them. I had an emotional response to the discussion which is probably best discussed at coffee club.

Do I get points for listening?

9. Likes Judd, Steve O, elizsnyder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default yada yada yada

put me on a team!

11. Likes Edelweiss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elizsnyder View Post
    put me on a team!
    Patience, grasshopper! Teams are assigned at the first happy hour, which is early in January. And points you earn from January 1 are counted for your team, once you are assigned to it.

13. Likes elizsnyder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do I get points for listening?
    Yes. 200 Points. I will also assign you some of my allotment of popularity points and then bike around the Joint with you for social ride points.

15. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I think it's a little ridiculous that people discussing excitedly ways to improve the game is driving anyone away. You don't have to read the thread if you don't care!

Well, we have to read the thread if we want to know what the new rules are going to be, or if we want to make sure to shoot down the most goofy suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes Bob James, Edelweiss, Judd, rcannon100, hozn liked this post