Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Freezing Saddles 2018

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I rode nearly every day last year, but not very far. I didn't participate in any events, group rides, happy hours and the like. The scoring rules are set up so my short frequent rides put me as far ahead as someone who rode 2x week for 10+ miles. This should be about getting people out in the cold using their bike for transportation. I reject the idea of making it more dependent on long miles or events. I'd rather see more rain/snow/temperature-driven points to entice people to get out there every day.

2. ELITE Bob James ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    I'm suddenly remembering why at the end of FS2017 I decided to sit out 2018.
    ftfy

4. Likes hozn liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    I'm all for advocacy, but I don't think BAFS was conceived as an advocacy initiative.
    Agree with most of your post, but I think it's less important what it was at conception and more what those who continue to make it happen year after year want it to be.

6. Likes streetsmarts, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Agree with most of your post, but I think it's less important what it was at conception and more what those who continue to make it happen year after year want it to be.
    Fair enough. But the advocacy angle may be at the root of some of the disillusionment expressed by many old-timers, and the reason why a minimum participation standard is being proposed. I do think clarity of purpose would make the path a little clearer in planning and executing; it would also help people decide whether they should play the game or not.

8. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no interest in pushing out or discouraging anyone who will be a good participant. But given that we have a limited number of spaces available, it is better for everyone if those spaces go to people who want to participate. We can (and will, for pages) quibble over the definition of "participate".

But this gets back to why I want to get rid of the Slackers Team and move more towards a non-competitive participant group. I want people to come out and ride and join groups and do what makes them happy. My first BAFS event was a final happy hour before I had ever participated. I came to hang out with forum friends and thought it was awesome and have played every year since.

I'm open to TwoWheels idea that kicking off non-participants falls to the captains. It doesn't really satisfy my bloodlust, but it's probably a better solution in the long run.

10. Likes kwarkentien, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Instead of having to track minimum participation, would it be easier if scores where just comprised of the points from the top X number of riders on each team? As an example, each team has 10 riders, you only take the top 8 scores, so teams that lost a rider or had someone flake out wouldn't be penalized.
    I would hate to see this, because it would mean the bottom two people would have no incentive to ride at all. If Freezing Saddles gets some guy to figure out that he really can ride every day all winter, I see that as a positive, even if every ride is a sleaze ride. But that guy might well be at the bottom of his team, and therefore lose motivation under this system.

12. Likes Steve O, jrenaut liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

A wise man once said

Take care inviting weirdos to join. If you dont think the weirdo is going to join in the forum, or come to a happy hour, or join a group ride - maybe dont invite them. If on the other hand the weirdo likes reindeer games, and is interested in adopting a puppy, maybe they are perfect. Every year new people assimilate into our community during FS. But there are also those who sign up, never show up, never play - and we then have to deal with how to fix our game.

It was, I think designed to advocate/proselytize for the forum/for riding in winter/etc - but within above said limits. Its a subtle thing, I guess. Some people are better at sniffing out who is really a potential "convert" and who is just going to post some miles on strava than others are. Some just can't contain their enthusiasm. And I guess some get cornered by neighbors asking them why they are riding around the block 10 times when its 10 degrees Fahrenheit and snow is falling.

14. Likes kwarkentien, streetsmarts, jrenaut liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I have no interest in pushing out or discouraging anyone who will be a good participant. But given that we have a limited number of spaces available, it is better for everyone if those spaces go to people who want to participate. We can (and will, for pages) quibble over the definition of "participate".

But this gets back to why I want to get rid of the Slackers Team and move more towards a non-competitive participant group. I want people to come out and ride and join groups and do what makes them happy. My first BAFS event was a final happy hour before I had ever participated. I came to hang out with forum friends and thought it was awesome and have played every year since.

I'm open to TwoWheels idea that kicking off non-participants falls to the captains. It doesn't really satisfy my bloodlust, but it's probably a better solution in the long run.

I can see that leading to real bad feelings. Harder to get mad at an algorithm.

16. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    And I guess some get cornered by neighbors asking them why they are riding around the block 10 times when its 10 degrees Fahrenheit and snow is falling.
    I once got stopped by a concerned police officer who was sure I must have been accidentally caught out in snow that didn't start until after I left home. The idea that I might have chosen to go out in a blizzard was apparently not something he contemplated.

18. Likes kwarkentien, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I can see that leading to real bad feelings. Harder to get mad at an algorithm.
    A captain wouldn't just kick a team member off - it would only be after a few attempts at contact, some warnings, etc. At the end of the day, I'm not terribly concerned with the feelings of those who take one of a limited number of spots, don't use it, and get mad when it's taken away.

20. Likes streetsmarts liked this post