Thread: ELF and Car collide on Route 7

Post Thanks / Like

Default ELF and Car collide on Route 7

I was commuting eastbound on Rt7 at Dranesville when a motorist did a right hook from the middle lane into the Shell station and crashed into me. I did not see him as he had to cut off a super-sized SUV first. There's a nice downhill and I was going 25mph earlier but probably 20mph at the collision point. We collided with his right fender smashing into my left front fender. The impact plus braking made the ELF rotate clockwise. That snapped the rearview mirror. Then the rear panel squished against the car's rear quarter panel cracking it and the Elf's electronic compartment . I remained in my recumbent seat and my shoulder touched the rear door panel but I had decelerated so much at that point that my helmet didn't hit the car. Instead I and the Elf bounced clear and the car continued into the service station.

I was shook up but had no physical injuries. The ELF had lots of body cracks and a fender with a big piece missing, but was mechanically sound enough to ride home. The 15+ year old car had no noticeable damage. When I asked the driver for insurance information he mumbled "no, no, no problem" and waved his hands and then jumped into his car and quickly drove off. I wasn't ready to record with my phone and missed getting the license plate.

I called FFX police and they filed a report but were upfront that since I wasn't injured and didn't have a tag number they weren't going to spend much effort trying to locate the driver. I filed an uninsured motorist claim for loss of personal property in a hit and run. My auto insurance company totaled the bike and valued it at around 75% of invoice. They also gave me a sweet deal to keep it so they didn't have to haul it away. I spent time fixing the electronics and bandaging the body bruises with duct tape and got it operational again. It is ugly but usable.

This is my first collision in over 12,000 commuting miles in 2.5 years. Since the bike performed well in protecting me from road rash and broken bones, I'll probably replace it with a new one.
    Last edited by SolarBikeCar; 11-03-2017 at 05:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a scary situation, essentially being blindsided by an aggressive driver. I'm glad you weren't injured as a result of such a bone-headed driver.

Considering the car pulled into the gas station, the car likely would have been caught on one of the security cameras, if not the actual crash itself (depending on camera placement and angle). Hopefully you can get the evidence needed for FFX police to find and punish the driver.

3. Likes lordofthemark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I suggested that ffx police pull the security camera footage but I do not think they did. The investigating officer didn't return my follow up call.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SolarBikeCar View Post
    I suggested that ffx police pull the security camera footage but I do not think they did. The investigating officer didn't return my follow up call.
    Be persistent. And if needed, speak with the officer's supervisor. A hit and run, even if it did not result in personal injury is still very serious. I am surprised at the officer's attitude towards it.

Contact the service station yourself if needed, and do it quickly. Most security tapes/data storage is rewritten after a certain number of days (usually 7-30).

I am sorry that you are dealing with this, but glad you are uninjured.

7. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad to hear you aren't injured. I'm disappointed at the police response. You have property damage of at least $1k and they should be doing more.

Get that security video!

9. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hit and run with over $1000 in damages is a felony in Virginia. The police should be taking that more seriously, especially if there is video evidence of the incident or the driver.

11. Likes Brendan von Buckingham, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

*Sigh* It seems that anything that has "bike" in the name is invisible, regardless of size.
    Last edited by n18; 11-03-2017 at 07:58 PM.

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Very glad you're not injured. If it's helpful, I'm sure this forum is full of experts who would be more than happy to testify that the thing you were piloting is definitely NOT a bike and shouldn't be treated as one in any circumstance.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about the collision and the mediocre Fairfax County Police response.