Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teaching kid to get on/off bike without being seated on saddle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Yes, I think hozn is on the right track. Can she ride standing on the pedals? Not even necessarily pedaling, just standing up (pedals at 3 and 9 o'clock). If she can get comfortable doing that, then hopefully she will feel more comfortable starting over the top tube.

Try riding on the flat, coasting and standing up. Once standing, she can try pedaling, too. I think if she can get comfortable riding out of the saddle, it will make it a lot more comfortable to start out of the saddle.
    Im in this camp. The challenge is helping her practice without it feeling like practice because biking should be fun

Is she competitive at all? Maybe challenging her to some short sprints where shed have to get out of the seat to beat you would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OH! I totally got this! We need to find a time to ride bikes together. I have a system for people who just can not get over their reliance on the saddle, which actually involves removing the saddle and seat post.

Although, it may not come down to that for her. She just needs confidence and cupcakes.

Any chance she is coming to Ed Sander's on Sunday?

4. Likes Judd, Tania, Erin Potter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post

Any chance she is coming to Ed Sander's on Sunday?

YES! She is. This is a brilliant idea because she'll be with the team and more willing to try.

6. Likes hozn liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also in the don't-like-standing camp. It's not great for racing or MTB, but if you're just riding a bike to get around or endurance, it's fine. Personally, I wouldn't push the standing angle unless she is in to it. Definitely expose her to it and teaching her if she likes it, but not push it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Standover on this bike is fine. The stem needs to be WAY shorter but the bike overall fits her well. Her saddle is as low as it can go and actually is TOO low.
    I think this could be the key -- having the reach be too long makes the bike very uncomfortable and unstable. Swapping the stem should be easy. So you could do that and maybe slam the seat down until she's got some confidence back. Then gradually raise the seat and explain the concept of stopping and starting.

And, if she still hates it, then it sounds like a bike with a different geometry is in order. You can start from the saddle on dutch style/city bikes and others, depending on the set up.