Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: November 2017 Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Default November 2017 Road and Trail Conditions

Hi all, the wonderful folks at Arlington Parks and Recreation who take such great care of the Custis Trail for us shared this message with me today:
    "Vegetation management is scheduled to occur on the Custis Trail From GW Parkway to Kennebec Street starting Monday November 6. Work includes: cutting back vegetation along the trail edge, fence lines, fixtures, and storm drains. The project is expected to last for 5 days. There will be a small crew of 3 people working. The trail will remain open during the project, so use caution in work areas."

Keep your eyes out for folks working on the trail starting next Monday!

2. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Posted on the WABA Women & Bicycles FB page:

TRAFFIC ADVISORY: Visiting Dignitary Road Closures

(Washington, DC)-The Metropolitan Police Department and the United States Secret Service would like to inform the public of street closures in conjunction with a Visiting Dignitary scheduled to start on Tuesday, November 7, 2017 until Thursday, November 9, 2017.

Closures

The following streets will be closed from approximately 9:30 am on Tuesday, November 7, 2017 to approximately 12:00 pm, on Thursday, November 9, 2017, at which time the roadways mentioned below will be closed to traffic:

* 16th Street, Northwest, between I (Eye) Street, Northwest and K Street, Northwest

* Southside service lane in the 1500 block of K Street, Northwest

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the foggy picture, but this morning Prince George's County Department of Parks and Recreation was removing those annoying and dangerous bollards under the bridge on the Anacostia River Trail, near Bladensburg Marina. I'd also like to thank the parks people for putting in some reflective tape on the bridge rails in several places on the NE Branch trail, which is very helpful for night-time commuters. Plus a shout-out to Laurie for advocacy on the bollard removal -- kudos all around!
    Last edited by Greenbelt; 11-13-2017 at 01:57 PM.

5. ELITE Steve O ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One bollard removed, but pinch flat hazard until it's repaved or filled in. Also new bollards being installed on the Greenbelt connector trail between Branchville ave and Cherrywood lane.

7. Likes dasgeh, Steve O liked this post
    mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbelt View Post
    One bollard removed, but pinch flat hazard until it's repaved or filled in. Also new bollards being installed on the Greenbelt connector trail between Branchville ave and Cherrywood lane.
    Ah, another jurisdiction that apparently ignores the federal guidance that bollards should be a last resort, when markings have proved insufficient. And what a particularly stupid installation this appears to be.

9. ELITE Steve O ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Ah, another jurisdiction that apparently ignores the federal guidance that bollards should be a last resort, when markings have proved insufficient. And what a particularly stupid installation this appears to be.
    I'm not quite as opposed to these ones since they're in inherently low-speed areas at the head of the trail on each end. But they'll still very annoying for anyone with a trailer or anyone in a wheelchair. And for city maintenance vehicles. I'm still trying to figure out who requires this -- I know for a fact that the developer does not want to spend any more money putting in required stuff and then having to pay to take it out again when we see how stupid it is.

11. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not quite as opposed to these ones since they're in inherently low-speed areas at the head of the trail on each end.
    I'm equally opposed to all of them, not because these may be less dangerous than others, but because installing them perpetuates their normalization.

Also, it appears this one is being installed at a place where one is changing direction somewhat to move from the ramp to the trail or vice versa, placing it essentially directly in the path of travel for those exiting the trail. I suspect many will choose to go to the left of it, potentially creating conflict where none is necessary.
    Last edited by Steve O; 11-14-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Also new bollards being installed on the Greenbelt connector trail between Branchville ave and Cherrywood lane.

Am I interpreting the picture correctly, that they're actually installing a double bollard?

I'm still trying to figure out who requires this -- I know for a fact that the developer does not want to spend any more money putting in required stuff and then having to pay to take it out again when we see how stupid it is.
    Is this an MNCPCC project?

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Am I interpreting the picture correctly, that they're actually installing a double bollard?
    One...or two. Either way they will be perfectly effective at keeping a vehicle from driving around them on the grass.

15. Likes scoot, mstone, Judd liked this post
    ELITE mstone ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    One...or two. Either way they will be perfectly effective at keeping a vehicle from driving around them on the grass.
    I'm with you on bollards. I'm asking for a specific reason, which I am not specifying.