Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strava heatmap updated -- and improved?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strava heatmap updated -- and improved?

The Strava team has posted a good discussion of the new heatmap. They've completely re-engineered it, making the map much easier to update in the future.

The map isn't a complete substitute for getting the opinions of local cyclists or doing other research. For instance, you'd never know from the map that Beach Drive isn't exactly cycle-friendly during the weekdays. Still, I've found the heatmap to be incredibly helpful in locating bike-friendly routes in unfamiliar areas.

It includes all activities from 2015 until 9/2017. It might be nice to have an option to filter by year. Good routes go bad!

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#7.0....36000/hot/all

Share any discoveries here!

2. Likes Raymo853, bobco85, MrTinDC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! At last, the new Anacostia River Trail (IMO one of the biggest pieces of bike infrastructure in the past few years as it makes the popular Anacostia Tributary Trail System fully continuous) shows up! I've been waiting for an update to the heatmap, so it's really nice to see newer routes show up.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone has been doing a lot of riding to and from the building I live in since 2015. I am pretty sure that is mostly me.

OTOH I have not dominated the heat map going into Fairlington at 3oth, as more people prefer Columbus over 30th to Abingdon.

Lucky Run Trail getting some love, despite more folks taking the lane on Walter Reed.

A bunch of other things, because of the level of detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, the even distribution across the Old Town Alexandria street grid is really amazing. Goes to show how a regular grid can really distribute traffic over an area.

6. Likes MrTinDC, secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, you can tell where all the bike commuters live.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so who's been riding their bike in the express lanes over the 14th St. bridge? Badass!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Okay, so who's been riding their bike in the express lanes over the 14th St. bridge? Badass!
    I don't know, but I'm sure whoever it is has the KOM at an average speed of 58 mph or so.

10. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    About 20,000 people on this year's DC Bike Ride. A small piece of the Whitehurst should be similarly hot.

12. Likes Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
    Interesting, you can tell where all the bike commuters live.
    And work. There'a a nice line that shows my preferred route for zipping through my building's parking lot at high speed.

14. ELITE PeteD ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's really cool seeing one's own impact upon the heat map. If you look close enough, you can see individual rides, let alone the route I take every single day. Hot spot into my building that I guarantee only two cyclists ride.