Thread: Public Meeting on I Street Bicycle and Ped Improvements (JD Land)

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Public Meeting on I Street Bicycle and Ped Improvements (JD Land)

Cut and paste from another forum:

This Satuday, Nov. 4, DDOT representatives are holding a public meeting on what is officially known as the I Street SE Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Improvements Project. It's at 11 am, and instead of in a stuffy conference room, the meeting will be held on the south side of I Street SE at Half Street SE (so, dress appropriately!).

Up for discussion will be a final design for this four-block stretch, which (if I am reading the graphics right) calls for the shifting of bike traffic on the blocks between South Capitol and 1st into protected lanes along the curb, with the parking lanes then acting as buffer between bikes and the traffic lanes. Vehicle lanes will still be a single lane in each direction as well as a center turn lane. There will also be flexposts at some of the intersections to prevent cars from taking turns too sharply in a way that endangers pedestrians and cyclists.

At right is a portion of the section between Half and 1st (see what I mean about "deciphering"), but if you are willing to test your ability to read traffic engineering graphic design, you can see the entire layout here.

If you have feedback, wander on by the assembly at Half and I at Saturday at 11. You can probably even bring your dog.

Public Meeting on I Street Bicycle and Ped Improvements

http://www.jdland.com/dc/index.cfm/4491/Public-Meeting-on-I-Street-Bicycle-and-Ped-Improvements/

2. Likes Steve O liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

A big improvement would be making the construction crew in the unit block of I SE comply with a valid traffic control plan.

4. Likes Judd liked this post