Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lake Fairfax Park Master Plan Update - Your feedback needed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    Gotcha. I do see that. I think the issue is that the closest W&OD connection (and favorite parking spot of many people riding the singletrack) isn't actually park property; the Ice Rink lot is private property, and I believe they have resisted a kiosk there in the past. Thats why there is a kiosk on the trail at the bottom of the initial hill from the lot: thats the edge of actual park property. But that doesn't help people looking to get into the park from the W&OD.
    Google maps, when you zoom in too close, shows property boundaries based on public records. It shows that SkateQuest has its own parking lot, and the parking lot to its North("Lake Fairfax Mountain Bike Parking" on Google maps) as a separate property. Here is a link to Fairfax county website which shows maps of property boundaries, but it's slower than Google, but shows property owner. You need to zoom in to see property boundaries, then click on "i" icon on the toolbar to see the real estate company that owns the property. It shows that the property is owned by Breckenridge, LLC, and that it's "Vacant land", while the company that owns where SkateQuest resides is Novus, LLC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    Google maps, when you zoom in too close, shows property boundaries based on public records. It shows that SkateQuest has its own parking lot, and the parking lot to its North("Lake Fairfax Mountain Bike Parking" on Google maps) as a separate property. Here is a link to Fairfax county website which shows maps of property boundaries, but it's slower than Google, but shows property owner. You need to zoom in to see property boundaries, then click on "i" icon on the toolbar to see the real estate company that owns the property. It shows that the property is owned by Breckenridge, LLC, and that it's "Vacant land", while the company that owns where SkateQuest resides is Novus, LLC.
    My recollection on this is hazy (I was the MORE liaison at Lake Fairfax many, many moons ago). I do remember that when the park was installing kiosks with the (largely speculative, at the time) maps, they did want to put one at the trailhead there at the ice rink lot but the property owners opposed it. Thats why the first kiosk from that direction is on the trail down the hill a bit. Its right at the edge of the park boundary.

I've often wondered whats going to happen when that property is inevitably developed. I have no idea of the private properties have changed hands or if some sort of easement has been established in the years since. It wouldn't surprise me though if people wanting to ride at Lake Fairfax have to drive into the park proper in the next 5-10 years.

All incidental to the discussion at hand (establishing a paved connection to the W&OD), but I think it does help explain why there isn't a more clearly marked path into the park.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    My recollection on this is hazy (I was the MORE liaison at Lake Fairfax many, many moons ago). I do remember that when the park was installing kiosks with the (largely speculative, at the time) maps, they did want to put one at the trailhead there at the ice rink lot but the property owners opposed it. Thats why the first kiosk from that direction is on the trail down the hill a bit. Its right at the edge of the park boundary.

I've often wondered whats going to happen when that property is inevitably developed. I have no idea of the private properties have changed hands or if some sort of easement has been established in the years since. It wouldn't surprise me though if people wanting to ride at Lake Fairfax have to drive into the park proper in the next 5-10 years.

All incidental to the discussion at hand (establishing a paved connection to the W&OD), but I think it does help explain why there isn't a more clearly marked path into the park.
    Rumour has it that the current owner of the north section of the parking lot (not SkateQuest) is looking to develop the land. The current trail liaisons (Tony and Frank) may have more up to date information, but this coming year may be the last year that we can use the lot for parking and trail access.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to let the FFX DPZ folks know that you want to preserve access to the trail. They'll work with the developer as long as citizens keep pressure on the process. You can also contact the District Supervisor (Hunter Mill). Trails and Streams Committee would also be a good point of contact to help.