Thread: Shady Grove Road Gaithersburg

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Arlington, VA
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shady Grove Road Gaithersburg

I'm taking my car into the shop for repair near the MoCo Airpark and want to commute in to work on Metro rail from Shady Grove station, I have a bike rack on the back of my car and was thinking of picking up a Capital Bikeshare, dropping off the car, then riding to Shady Grove Metro station from the Airpark. Google maps suggests riding the bike lane on Shady Grove Road, but looking at street view there's a difficult intersection with the Mid County Highway, I would be cycling during rush hour on a 45mph road. The MoCo bicycle comfort level map marks the road in red (confident cyclists), and a local ride cue sheet suggests it's best avoided during rush hour. I understand MoCo permits riding on the sidewalk but only if a bike lane is not available, it's my first time there and I don't know what morning traffic is like. I was thinking of crossing at Mill Run Dr and riding on the sidewalk as far as Tupelo Dr to avoid having to ride on Shady Grove Rd through that intersection.

Do other cyclists who ride on fast arterial road bike lanes also consciously change your route and ride on the sidewalk to avoid difficult intersections?
    Last edited by Dewey; 10-30-2017 at 09:03 AM.